Add "disable" to systray?

I let WinXP-SP2 manage my connections. When I right click on the wireless icon in the Systray, I see options of "status", and "disable", if the wireless is connected.

If the wireless isn't connected at the moment, I don't see "disable".

I like to disable the wirless when I'm not using it, to conserve power on the laptop. In order to disable it, I need to open the network connections, select it, and disable it...

I'd like to see "disable" be available in the context menu, and, for that matter, get rid of the "repair", which is kind of hazardous in a static IP environment.

Reply to
dold
Loading thread data ...

I doubt that what you're talking about can be done and what is there as selections is it..

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Prowling around the net, I find lots of things for adding to context menus, but they don't deal with the Systray.

Reply to
dold

I couldn't find a way to put it in the systray context. I made a small bat file, and then put two shortcuts on the desktop, in the bottom right, so they look like they're in the systray ;-)

formatting link
provides an executable called DevCon for Device Control.

devcon status * > all_devices.txt will give a text file with all of the devices and the current status. Find the name of your WiFi card there... Mine is an SMC2435W.

PCI\\VEN_104C&DEV_8400&SUBSYS_8402104C&REV_00\\5&2509CBFA&0&0051F0 Name: SMC2435W 22 Mbps Wireless Cardbus Adapter

devcon status "PCI\\VEN_104C&DEV_8400*" ensure that this shows only the status from the one device that you want to affect. (It's interesting what shows up under the same "VEN_" number.)

I made a batch file with one line: devcon %1 "PCI\\VEN_104C&DEV_8400*"

then I put two shortcuts to the bat file on my desktop, adjusting the properties so that one has a "target" of the bat file enable, and another shortcut for disable. "C:\\downloads\\DevCon\\2435.bat" enable I even picked clever icons for the two shortcuts ;-)

Reply to
dold

That's usually a function key combo. Mine is FN-F3. Check with your manual.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

My laptop comes with a disable button on the side, if it has internal WiFi, but I don't see any Function-key mentioned in the User's Guide, for the laptop or the card.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.