ad hoc

I connected 2 pcs. They see each other. However, I cannot transfer files. What's wrong?

notebook: acer, pc: planet

automatic ip

pawel

Reply to
Pawel Piotr Stawski
Loading thread data ...

Well it would help if you posted what the O/S(s) are on the machines.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

xp sp2,

notebook acer aspire 3610 and pc with usb planet adapter wl u356a

I configured both using windows creator. then added second computer using flash memory.

And there we go> there is a link, however, i cannot transfer files.

when i used ping and IP address there is no answer.

pawel

Uzytkownik "Duane Arnold" >

Reply to
Pawel Piotr Stawski
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Go to

formatting link
and search for "Networking Guide".

Reply to
John Navas

In on Mon, 08 May 2006

22:10:42 GMT, Duane Arnold >

From his headers... X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869

Reply to
John Navas

formatting link
If all else fails, you can try MS NWlink.

formatting link
Also you may want to secure/harden the machines a little bit to attack on the wireless and sharing resources.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

So? I am not into looking at someone's headers. I am not going that far with anything. He's a big boy and he can make a post as to what he has.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

In on Mon, 08 May 2006

22:34:07 GMT, Duane Arnold

Surely you jest.

Reply to
John Navas

No, I am not. Like I told you, I am not into holding anyone's hand on the Internet. If you want to do something like that, then knock yourself out, as I am not on board with it.

If someone was posting that had some kind of email or NG posting problem, then I might go look at the post headers.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

In on Mon, 08 May 2006

22:55:56 GMT, Duane Arnold

This is an issue of smugness and presumed superiority, not of his cluelessness. You're either smart enough and capable enough to look at his headers (a single keypress in my own newsreader), or you're not, in which case you have no right to be smug, superior, and rude. No offense intended. Have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

Did you enable file sharing? Sounds like you didn't.. Of course if you don't see the other computer anyway, you can't share either... However if you get the ping thing going, and you still have problems, check your file sharing.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Let's get one thing straight, I am smug with your dumb ass for even being in my face about this. I asked the OP a simple question and the OP answered the question and yet here you are popping off at the mouth.

I think there is something wrong with you for even making these posts trying to tell me what Hell I should be doing.

Maybe, Proack is in order for you. I don't know.

I see you running up and down the NG popping your mouth and I would just as soon avoid someone like you.

It may come down to I just *plonk* you out of my face.

Duane :(

Reply to
Duane Arnold

In on Mon, 08 May 2006

23:40:09 GMT, Duane Arnold

I thought so -- smugness and superiority seemed pretty clear from your first response -- but thanks for the confirmation. I suggest you take your own Proack [sic] advice. As for your threat to *plonk* me, knock yourself out. And have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

You should go jack off somewhere and be happy instead of posting to me about nothing. ;-)

Duane

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Peter Pan" hath wroth:

First, get ping to work between computahs. File sharing and such can come later.

The usual problem is either the Windoze XP firewall or some other personal firewall product such as Zone Alarm, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, etc. If you have any of these running, turn them off for testing. If ping now magically works, then all you need to do is configure your personal firewall software.

Light reading on networking and sharing:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

One other thing you *clown*, you can either take my suggestion and chill out or you can get yourself a prescription for some *Post* happy pills and choke on them and chill out that way too.

Duane

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Actually John and in support of Duane, just because he posted a message from *A* PC running Outlook Express, that's no reason to assume that he posted from one of the affected PC's!

Poor assumption to make and John, you're post of the header was little more than smug.

In your words, have a nice day!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I disagree. And it's a very good bet he's using Windows in any event, even without that header.

To be clear, the part I was referring to was:

So? I am not into looking at someone's headers. I am not going that far with anything. He's a big boy and he can make a post as to what he has.

That's smug and superior in my book, as confirmed by his later post. And there wasn't anything smug about my post, which simply provided information he might have overlooked, as he had.

Have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

You need to stick this up your ass.

As far as I am concerned, you were flat-out out of line here. I didn't ask for your help and I don't need your help to do anything.

Or is that too much for you do understand?

You were and you are *Post* happy. You go play Lone Ranger and ride up on your broom with someone else is the bottom line.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I replaced a wired Ethernet connection that already shared many files and folders with and ad hoc wireless connection just expecting it would all work. However, nothing was shared until I re-initiated sharing some additional folders while the ad hoc connection was active and then some - but not all - of the shared files appeared. I am not sure why. The also appeared first as if they were in a connected drive (in fact Y on my set-up) although eventually they also appeared in the mapped files list.. All a bit baffling and not very consistent.. I think a couple of restarts on both computers did the trick.. After the restarts more shared files appeared. I'm still trying to get the other way round to work but no doubt it will eventually.. Both my PC and the Compaq Laptop are running XP. Michael

Reply to
Michael Shergold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.