Active element question -> Jeff?

HoHoHo

When I played with stacked dipoles, and if I remember correctly, the length of the segments contributed to the gain of the system. As the gain grew, the antenna became more 'focused' and narrowed the ...ahem... beam which raised the sensitivity in terms of distant location. I used this antenna on my ceiling for TV and had problems with one of them stations that was further that 80 miles. I could make the antenna segments longer which would pickup that far station, but then the other closer ones would become noisy. I did this in 1/4 wave, then 1/2 wave and finally full wave. Full wave would get the far one but not the local, 1/2 would get all with noise, and 1/4 wave would get the local ones but not the far one. I couldn't get those dang TV stations to move their antennas in a line as they liked them spread out at about a 30 degree angle from where I was.

Does this apply to the element that sticks up in a cantenna? If we make a full wave element, does the gain grow along with the element length as we do the 1/4 multiples? We would also have to move the element the 1/4 multipler from the back of that antenna also wouldn't we? If this is correct, this would help in dem long distance squirts wouldn't it? I know that it would be harder to aim, but manageable.

Sorry, just Sat ramblings...

Oh, and just cause you all are so informative, I thought that I would share this with ya:

The .gov showed up with the police at my doorstep claiming that I was stealing cable. Apparently the cable installer guy that forced his way into my house a few weeks before and into the living room; had a look at the 23ga wire on the ceiling and thought that I was stealing cable and reported it. Could have been because I realized that he did this and got by my kid, and when I finaly got my wits, grabbed him and threw him through the door. Bounced then skidded on the sidewalk! Definently a guy with a ID ten T problem. Laughed about that one for a long time.... hmmm still do.

todh

Reply to
OldGuy
Loading thread data ...

Antenna gain comes from redistributing the radiated energy into a smaller beamwidth. The beamwidth of an antenna is proportional to (wavelength / antenna length), so yes, a longer dipole will give a tighter beamwidth and a higher gain than a shorter dipole.

As for the cantenna.... I think that this is acting as a resonant cavity (and I'm not an expert on these!), but my guess is that the 1/4 wavelngth between then antenna and the back of the can is critical and should not be changed (so that the reflected wave is on phase with the forward wave). The beamwidth from the cavity will be dependant upon the diameter of the apeture.. BUT... I *think* that the cantenna dimensions have been chosen to allow only the propogation modes that will end up in the direction that we want, so I suspect these can't be altered significantly either.

Some groups have been experimenting with waveguides to get tight fan-shaped beams. (google wireless waveguide).

Reply to
nospam

Bah-humbug (T'is the season).

Not exactly. A simple 1/4 wave per element dipole has a rather wide donut shaped pattern. Gain is about 2dBi. -3dB beamwidth is about

150 degrees. When I elongate the elements to 1/2 wave each, the pattern looks like a cloverleaf donut. There's no lobe perpendicular to the length of the antenna wire, so you'll get crappy reception. Enlarge the antenna to 3/4 wave per element, and the center lobe comes back, but the two cloverleafs are still there. The "gain" of the center lobe is slightly more than it was with the 1/4 wave dipole, but not by much. (I'm too lazy to run the numbers to get the exact gains and beamwidths).

I think you were moving the lobes around, not the gains. TV goes from

54Mhz to 700MHz. Trying to build a single antenna that covers all that range is not a trivial exercise. No matter how well your antenna pattern looks on one frequency, chances are high that it will not be useable on another frequency.

No. The can antennas work on a completely different principle.

No. The gain of the cantenna does not increase much with the diameter of the can. There is a minimum diameter (waveguide cutoff frequency) but above that diamter, the gain is fairly constant. Expanded large enough, it would start to resemble a monopole over an infinite reflector.

Sorry. I can't tell what you're trying to build here. Making the antenna twice as big does *NOT* increase the gain 3dB. It mangles the tuning frequency, changes the impedance, changes the pattern, and generally mess things up.

Need a project? Download the latest 4NEC2 antenna modelling program. I'll send you my latest semi-functional can antenna generating spreadsheet, which will generate an NEC2 "deck" for any size cantenna. Play with the dimensions and watch the pattern, VSWR, and gain change all over the place.

Yeah, I know how it works. The day after I installed some antennas on my roof, was when the neighbors showed up with crappy TV reception complaints. I had a difficult time convincing one of them that I had no effect on cable TV.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.