Actiontec modems

Anyone have DSL (or whatever) service with an Actiontec modem?

I'd like opinions of the Model GT701-WG wireless router dsl modem, or even just Actiontec stuff in general.

Ed

Reply to
Ed
Loading thread data ...

I like mine around the house. A little underpower. When I received it there was a problem getting to some websites such as Disney.com (MTU not 1500) a firmware upgrade from Qwest solved that.

Still like the flexability of Linksys routers for work. Actiontec is pretty simple and easy for do-it-yourself installers.

Reply to
RichC

I had a Linksys WRT54G wireless router running my home network. When I signed up for QWest DSL service, they provided the Actiontec DSL wireless modem and router. Though I originally intended to keep the Linksys in service, I pulled it and just set up my home network with the Actiontec. After using if for a month, I now realize it has been problem free, unlike my Linksys.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

<shrug> I supplied my own WRT54G and also a Linksys cable modem, declining the ones Comcast wanted to supply me (and charge me for every month), and the only problem I've had was in getting setup info for an additional box, a Linksys bridge, picking up the wireless net and feeding a 5 port switch in a far room. That's been working with no problems for many months.

YMMV.n

Reply to
Steve Caple

I might have done that, had QWest only provided a DSL modem, but the unit they currently provide is also a wireless AP. Tey rent it for $5.00 per month. I opted to buy it for $59.00 . Not a bad deal, I think. I set up quickly, and as I said before, replaced my WRT54G just fine.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.