Accessing Secured Wireless Connections

My computer has wireless internet network connections, about 8 different choices to be exact. They are all secured network, and that is the problem. I can't use any of them, for I am told I need to get the password or phrase key from the network provided. What network provided? I have no way of access any of this information, no matter what I try. What's the point of having wireless connections when I can't even use them. Obviously, I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

John

Reply to
John Sisker
Loading thread data ...

Get your own breaking into another's without permission is illegal and will end badly

Reply to
atec77

If you set up one of those routers you should have the password and that is the one you should be using.

Reply to
LouB

If it is illegal, then why is it provided on my laptop? If I need to pay for it, no problem. But that brings me back to the original question. How do I access such information, when there is not connections or actual website connection or information provided?

John

Reply to
John Sisker

google it , I aint doing your home work for you

Reply to
atec77

Been there, done that... they don't know either.

Reply to
John Sisker

Well start with how to google for a clue and stop trolling

Reply to
atec77

Using wireless connections is generally legal, if you have the network operator's permission.

The operator of the network will provide whatever information is necessary to authorized users. Do you have a network you're authorized to use?

Reply to
DevilsPGD

There are many things that are provided by others, which is not available for your use. For example, the state builds roads, but does not provide you with an automobile. If you want to drive somewhere, you buy or rent your own vehicle, and not borrow someone elses (without permission).

The assumption is that you'll get your own wireless router, which is connected to your own DSL line or cable modem. You then get to set your own WPA encryption password, in order to keep unwanted visitors from using your connection.

The proceedure is simple. You find a local ISP (internet service provider) and arrange for service. Presumably, it will be DSL, cable, satellite, WiMax, or Cellular broadband data service:

Depending on the service, a DSL/cable/satellite modem will be either provided, sold, or rented with the service. You then go to your local retailer and purchase a wireless router. This will allow you to connect more than one computah to your broadband connection, using CAT5 wire or via Wi-Fi wireless.

According to your Usenet News header, you're connecting via Earthlink, which suggests that you already have ISP service. You might want to ask them for additional assistance.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Get a clue?

Try using "admin" as a password. I bet one of those 8 connections will let you in ...

Reply to
Warren Oates

You're not doing *anything* wrong.

Those networks visible on your computer are secured to keep unauthorized users-like you-off them. If you want to use an Internet connection without paying for it, you'll need to find a convenient location where such a connection is offered and take your laptop there. If you're located in the USA, your local public library would probably be your best bet. The vast majority of libraries now offer free Wi-Fi for anyone who comes in, cardholder or not. Check the library's website for particulars. All McDonald's restaurants and Starbucks coffeeshops in the USA that offer Wi-Fi are now also free, but you should, of course, at least feel obligated to buy something while you're there.

You should be able to find free Wi-Fi venues near you at this site:

formatting link

Good luck.

Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

I have a similar problem. There are locked cars parked out on the street by my house that don't belong to me and I am unable to use them because I have neither the keys or the permission of the owners.

Reply to
George

I guess there's no troll so obvious that nobody will reply to it.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Admin would probably get you into 99% of the routers if you were on their wired network, like in their house and logged into the router. I think WPA forces you to have a much more secure password on the wireless. Eight digits at least IIRC.

The original poster might sound like a troll, but trust me, there are people who when they get a notebook, see all these WAPs and don't understand they are not for public use. When a friend got her first macbook with wifi, it was connecting to open wifi with virtually no user input.

Open wifi detected. Click here to connect to "fbi_honeypot".

Reply to
miso

I don't know where the OP lives; here in Ontario, the largest ISP is Sympatico, and they ship wireless routers with "admin" and "admin" as default username and passphrase, all nicely secured with WEP. They also have convenient default SSIDs of BELLxxx so you know which ones they are.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

ok I am answering here because Jeff is one of the few who will give you honest replies here. You can follow his traditional advice and you will be ok in the main. The people on this group generally don't want you to have access and especially FREE access to wifi connections. They make money off of charging you for those connections and are jealous of anyone who gets them for free. Also they are generally old fart constipated old men who don't want you to get anything for free. They prefer that you pay them for your connection. That way they know who you are and can profile your net activities against your known identity. Get it?

Find the ones on your list that have NONE under encyption and try connecting to them. Also build yourself a good antenna so you can draw in signals far away from you. Also, try the admin password other suggested but don't expect it to work unless the operator of the connection is brain dead. The ones that have NONE will sometimes be honeypots, no doubt run by some of the more sarcastic repliers here designed to steal your passwords and files and your credit card info, etc. Learn about firewalls and don't keep anything on your computer that is not encrypted.

Yes simple procedure. That way some unknown tech/company has access to your private information, knows how many times a day you take a crap, etc.,etc. And guess what? You're paying HIM for the privilege. Also he can control what sites you access and deny you those he does not like. Best not to use wifi at all and stick to wired cable, dialup, etc. Lots of less jerkoffs on wired connections. Good luck you need to read more and study before connecting to the net or find a good friend who can help you.

Reply to
haha

You're talking about how to log into the router while everyone else is talking about how to connect to the wireless network. The connection has to happen successfully before there's any chance of logging into the router. The alternative, as suggested above, is to bypass the wireless connection step and use a wired connection. Then, and only then, is it possible to get a login prompt from the router.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Thanks for the explanation. It is appreciated.

In other words, even though it shows up automatically on my computer, it is not really an invitation for free access; one must pay for this access. Unfortunately, none seem to provide any way at all to get in touch with them, in order to get more information, even if they wanted to sign up for a fee.

John Sisker

Reply to
John Sisker

That's not how it works. People have bought internet access from an ISP and are using a wireless router to spread it through their homes (or businesses); they don't want to sign anyone up to share it, even for a fee. I know I don't. You can get free access at your public library or local cafe.

Reply to
Warren Oates

I understand what you are saying, but then why is such information advertised by vendors, promoted by retailers and available on one's computer, when they don't really have access to it?

Reply to
John Sisker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.