access wirelessly the desktop from laptop

Where and how do I turn on the Remote desktop sharing?

Reply to
Ritter197
Loading thread data ...

I downloaded the UltraVNC and I will after installation report back how it all goes. Thanks in the meantime.

Reply to
Ritter197

that's because the server is already running.

you need the server and client programs installed on _both_ machines if you want to access the laptop from the desktop and vice versa.

hope that helps.

Reply to
bryan

I have them running on BOTH machines, the laptop and the desktop. That is: ULTRAVNC

Reply to
Ritter197

I see all things except the empty box that allows users etc etc.

This is on the laptop with windowsxp and SP#2 installed, Home edition.

Reply to
Ritter197

Taking a moment's reflection, Ritter197 mused: | | It also put the VNC icon on the desktop of my laptop,but when I click on | it asks for the server name.

You need to put in the IP address of the Desktop, and make sure that the desktop is running VNC Server (just having it installed is not enough). When you load VNC Server for the first time, you will be presented with a Properties dialogue box. It is wanting you to type in a password (it will appear as though a password exists, but it doesn't). Type in a password, and click okay ...

Then go to your laptop, and load VNC Viewer ... enter the IP of the desktop (192.168.0.101) and then you should receive a password prompt. Type what you entered previously in the server Properties box.

I would recommend you look at UltraVNC as it provides many more features over Real or TightVNC iterations ... not the least of which is file transfer capability.

formatting link

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Ritter197 mused: | | Strangely though, I see for the first time a second IP address there and | it is fe80::20e:abff: etc. | I have never seen such thing before on the desktop.

That is probably the NIC's MAC address ...

Do you have any software firewalls running on either the desktop or the laptop? Are they XP with the Windows Firewall enabled perhaps?

Reply to
mhicaoidh

XP Pro only, not Home.

Right click on My Computah. Select Properties. Hit the "Remote" tab. You're on your own from there.

Also, be sure to check the Windoze Firewall Exceptions: Control Panel -> Windoze Firewall -> Exceptions Check the "Remote Desktop" box.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

To turn on Remote Desktop Sharing, do the following:

1. Right-click on MY COMPUTERand then click on PROPERTIES
  2. The last tab should be REMOTE. Click on the REMOTE tab
  3. Click on the empty box that states: ALLOW USERS TO CONNECT REMOTELY TO THIS COMPUTER.
  4. Click APPLY or OK.
Reply to
Doug Jamal

You do not need VNC to remotely access your network computers or to use the desktop sharing features of Windows XP. It is preferred that the operating system of ALL of your networked computers be Windows XP PRO. With all of your PCs having the same OS, your ability to access each PC using the desktop sharing feature is automatic. If you have a PC with Windows XP HOME, then you will not be able to access that computer, via desktop sharing, from another PC, however, you will be able to use it to access the desktop sharing feature of a PC with XP PRO. Instructions on how to begin using desktop sharing have already been posted. All you have to do now is to let each PC know who will have access.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

there are two components - the server and the client. The first is called WinVNC, the second VNCViewer. (or it is in the current UltraVNC download from sourceforge anyway).

You need to run the server as a service on both machines, then run the client on whichever machine you want to connect FROM. On both machines you're connceting TO, you will need to ensure your firewall allows connections from the local lan, or passes through the VNC ports.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I am sorry this creates this much trouble,therefore a special thanks to you all!!!

Now, I am presently at my laptop. I go to VNC Viewer which show as address to get to:

192.168.0.101 When I click it on it comes up with a small window that shows status for 192.168.0.101 and then after a few seconds You connection has been rejected.

Btw when I ping 192.168.0.101 I get the succefull transmission of 4 packets,but no name.

Reply to
Ritter197

I can ping from the desktop and from the laptop. When I ping I always get 4 packets sent, none lost.

Now, when I click on the UltraVNC viewer on the desktop with the address

192.168.0.101 I get after a few seconds

"Your connection has been rejected"

Reply to
Ritter197

What do you mean with the statement "have the UltraVNC running"? What do you want me to do?

Reply to
Ritter197

Good VNC should be running as the server on this machine and you should be asked to enter a password

This doesn't look good but maybe someone else can suggest what is causing it

You now should be able to run the VNC viewer on your laptop and enter the desktops IP of 192.168.0.101 as the address of the VNC server.

When you ping -a 192.168.0.101 from the laptop do you get a name? eg

Pinging DesktopName [192.168.0.101] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply to
AnthonyL

Reply to
bryan

Taking a moment's reflection, Mark McIntyre mused: | | You need to run the server as a service on both machines...

You can run the server as an application just fine. The service is only necessary if you want it to: 1) always be running, and 2) allow remote control prior to computer login.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

And is that the address of your desktop?

assuming 192.168.0.101is the right address either a) you dont' have the VNC server running at the far end or b) your firewall at the far end is blocking it or c) you configured the server to reject incoming connections from the laptop

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

you need to have the VNC server component installed and running at whichever end you want to remotely control. If this doesn't make sense, please go and re-read the installation instructions for UltraVNC, they do explain all this.

RTFM might help. :-)

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Taking a moment's reflection, Ritter197 mused: | | What am I doing wrong?

You need to run Viewer on the desktop, and server on the laptop. In the Viewer, you want to put in the IP address for the laptop ... where the server is running. It sounds like you have everything right, except you are entering the IP for the desktop when you want to be connecting to the laptop.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.