access point setup problem

make sure that the access point and the router are on the same subnet ...

192.168.1.xxx for example.

make sure the router has dhcp server enabled

make sure the access point has dhcp server disabled (if it has one)

make sure the pc has dhcp client enabled for the both the wired nic and wireless nic cards (you can use static ip's for both nic's as well if you wish - as long as they are in the 192.168.1.xxx network and are outside of the dhcp server range in the router)

so now - you should be able to get to the built in web page for the router and for the access point, from both the wired and the wireless interfaces

Reply to
riggor99999
Loading thread data ...

ok i need help on setting up a wireless network

ok the set up i have is

cable modem > wired router > wireless access point > desktop pc with a pci wireless card and a notbook with internal wireless

so i then try to connect the pc to the access point to get to the config page, i change my wireless addapters settings (to connet to the ip of the access point) and then try to connect using the ip in the manual but thats as far as i get i dose not find it, nor can i do the same on the laptop

anyone got any ideas?

p.s. i am trying to set up the AP while hard wired to it

Reply to
dazzler

Why would you want to connect directly to the AP to administer it? When you have AP's all over the place - it's impractical and defeats the purpose of having an AP on the network. The AP is just another Ethernet device with a built in web page - that you can administer from any PC on the network.

Reply to
riggor99999

Don't connect the access point to the router. Wire your laptop to the AP's LAN ports Then i'd follow the previous poster. Disable the DHCP of the AP.

You'll run into trouble if you have two DHCP server, especially since they both will use the same address. All linksys devices tend to use

192.168.1.1 and you can't have duplicates.

With the router handing out DHCP and the AP just bridging you should be good. DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

For initial setup it's usually impractical to do it any other way. In any case, if he's having trouble setting it up while hardwired, how is it going to be any easier to set up wirelessly?

Reply to
Derek Broughton

...because there is no clarity here who is assigning it it's IP address. There are two units here capable of giving out addresses from separate DHCP ranges or conflicting ranges. If they use the exact same default IP (192.168.1.1) neither would work.

...because a wireless AP unit can bridge traffic onto an existing Wired connection and if he can't connect wirelessly, wired eliminates complexity.

Professionally, you usually cable into an AP unit and configure it before deploying it. Relying on DHCP to give it some random address means you'll have no idea what IP to address to. Just guess until you get it right??

"riggor99999" wrote:

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

For initial setup - yes - the laptop/pc needs to be directly connected to the AP....but for ongoing admin, once configured he should be able to access it without being directly connected to it.

Reply to
riggor99999

...as per my response to Derek....

For initial setup - yes - the laptop/pc needs to be directly connected to the AP....but for ongoing admin, once configured he should be able to access it without being directly connected to it.

My assumption (probably incorrect) was that the op knew how to admin it directly - but could not admin it once he put it on the network.

Once it's on the network with the right IP address / config, you can admin it using wired or wireless.

Reply to
riggor99999

well there is now a singnal and i can connect to it get to the config page but i cannot access the internet though the wireless connection. Any ideas on this problem?

Reply to
dazzler

How did you finally set it up? What is your PC IP address and what is the IP address of the AP? When you connect to the config page - is it via wired or wireless? Have you set the SSID? Encryption? MAC Filtering?

A little more info is needed....

Reply to
riggor99999

as simple as reseting to factory settings (dont know why it wasnet all ready set to these :S)

pc ip is 192.168.2.201 A/P ip is 192.168.2.254

wireless

no not yet SSID is the deafault belkin54g

Reply to
dazzler

Is this a laptop used for work? are there any proxy settings configured?

Reply to
riggor99999

Definitely change your SSID to a unique value right away, and remove the old default value from Advanced configuration, because you might otherwise be connecting to the wrong access point!

Don't worry about MAC filtering -- it doesn't provide any real security.

Do enable encryption, preferably WPA/PSK with a strong passphrase.

Reply to
John Navas

no and no

Reply to
dazzler

i dont know if this helps but i can get to both the A/P and wired router config screens wirelessly just cant seem to get anything from the internet connection

Reply to
dazzler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.