Access Point For 10 Simultaneous Users

I'm a college student who is going to move into a house with 9 other students. I wanted to provide wireless internet access throughout the house because it would be a lot easier than wiring cat5 everywhere. Our house is pretty large with 3 floors. Currently, our internet router is on the first floor via our cable internet provider. I was looking for a solution that would be stable, fast (low latency), and has good range to get on the 3rd floor. I am looking to spend at the most around $200 for the access point and would like to be able to get the PCI/PCMCIA cards for around $50/each. What type of wireless 802.11x access point would you recommend for this setup? I'm not sure if I need to go as far as getting a Cisco product or not. Thanks!

Reply to
dhatala
Loading thread data ...

I'll let others advise you on the best equipment, although I'll comment that I sure like my Linksys WRT54G, and associated access cards.

Personally, If I were in your shoes, I'd be sure to first try the new WAP you get on the 2nd floor, for best whole-house coverage. I'd think you can either move your provider's router to the middle floor, too, or just run one eithernet cable from the router up to the WAP.

Good luck.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Reply to
Charlie

I would suggest just using wires, man, I know your a student (been there done that) but you are forever going to be 'fixing' this. how much spare time do you want to spend on this?

Good luck, your going to need it!

Reply to
ad

As Charlie suggested a MIMO route, I've looked at them shortly. They look pretty good on the speed and range side. I'm not to sure how stable some are. The Belkin model for Pre-n seems to be the leader. Has anyone set it up with at least 5 simultaneous users?

Although I wish I could, cat5 isn't an option for our house. It's too large and a hassle to wire it.

Reply to
Dan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.