Access Point

Hello all,

I acquired a old Linksys BEFW11S4 router. The plan was to create an access point on my ad-hoc (wired) network that has been operational for several years.

I stumbled around trying to configure the old router with little success. I did get an RF link going and the NetGear 311 Adaptor communicates with the old router.The 311 is in Win98SE machine.

The question is: Can I use this old router as a WAP?

Observation and/or comments appreciated.

Jim

Reply to
jpsga
Loading thread data ...

Get the docs here;

formatting link
That router is wireless B only, therefore slow but should be usable as an access point if you can live with the slow speed. Configure it wired though.

Reply to
Pen

Ancient router, ancient OS on the PC. Thrown them both out. Honestly.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

formatting link

The router/AP should be fine - and as far as the speed; #1 - What do you have for your Internet connection ? #2 - Do you currently use your wired network for file sharing, printing, etc ?

the problem may be with the Win98se + Netgear 311 Which "311" model do you have ?

formatting link
not sure what your problem is - you didn't really expand....

Does the "311" adapter appear to be working, and show up in Win98se Device Manager ? Where did you get Win98se drivers ?

Does the PC "see" the SSID from the router/AP ?

Reply to
ps56k

formatting link
>

formatting link
this
formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

formatting link

Pen, Thanks for the input.

Do not know what 'Configure it wired through' Means. Can you clarify? Jim

Reply to
jpsga

So right but I won't learn anything.

Jim

Reply to
jpsga

formatting link
>>

ps56k,

Thank you for the interest

As to internet connection: comcast Cable to SB5051 Motorola to Linksys BEFSR41 router four port unit

2 xp home brew units port 3 to a switching hub- three computers on the HUB two SE one xp. Port 4 to the old linksys router BEFW11S4

The Wireless PCI Adapter is a NETGEAR WG311NA . The SE driver is on the CD. It is shown in the Dvice Manager All machines are set to share files and printers.

The PC connects RF wise but does not see SSID which is linksys.

Since I am assured that the old router will act as a access point, my problem are the old router settings and what port to plug the new router onto?

Jim

Reply to
jpsga

Sure, just plug into the router through an ethernet port to run the wireless setup. Follow the directions at the Linksys site. Setting up wireless devices is always best done hard wired as there are too many variables to do it wirelessly.

Reply to
Pen

ahh - so much better when ALL the important details are added... the key point is that you HAVE a Linksys BEFSR41 router, and just want to use the BEFW11S4 as JUST an Access Point.

Reply to
ps56k

So learn something new that will actually work. Seriously, the support for

98 was miserable even when it was new, it's non-existant now. Likewise that router was crap then and it's still crap now. What you'll learn is there's no way to get all that crap working reliably. I wouldn't call that a smart way to spend one's time. Especially when known-working solutions exist. But hey, feel free to waste your time.
Reply to
Bill Kearney

formatting link
>>>>

Reply to
jpsga

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.