Access point

Just getting into wireless, excuse naive questions. Two computers, one desktop with wireless LAN PCI 802.11b/g, one laptop with broadcom 802.11g network adapters. Do I need a wireless router to connect these or can I connect with this setup?

Reply to
Joe
Loading thread data ...

You _can_ probably make this work, though poorly, with ICS, but get a WRT54GL and it'll work flawlessly, all the time, no matter which machines are up and running, and it'll be far more secure.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

OK, I have a connection. Problem is neither computer can see the other. My network places on desktop has no files even though I set up sharing of some folders. Laptop has folders in my network places. When I check status of connection it show packets being sent but none received. Can my Ip 198.168.0.1 be the same for both computers?

Reply to
Joe

"Joe" top-posted:

What are the details of your AP, router, computers, etc?

You can't use the same IP for any two devices. Using .1 for a computer is usually the wrong thing to do, as that's usually the IP of the gateway...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I have a gateway laptop xp home with wireless card, a desktop xp pro with wireless card and i get a connection. Just can't see other computers folders. I was setting the ip myself but went to auto detect and got desktop ip

169.254.186.196 and laptop ip 169.254.228.182. I don't yet have a router as i am going ad hoc, may get one if better connection.
Reply to
Joe

"Joe" top-posted:

Ack, Pthht, as Bill The Cat is wont to say. Get a WiFi router...

Anyway, your problem is more Windows Networking related than WiFi, but you can try:

Turn off WinDoze Firewall on both machines Make sure they are in the same Workgroup Check to see that file and print sharing is enabled make sure something is shared on both machines see if you can ping each machine from the other do \\\\169.254.186.196 from the laptop

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.