Access Point

I only have access to the Internet through dial-up and have 3 computers networked using a switch. I want to be able to access the network using a wireless laptop. Can I attach a wireless access point to the switch and have access to the network?

Reply to
Charlie
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
gene martinez

yes , that is basically my setup.

my internet gateway PC runs Windows 98 and has a dial up modem attached,

the INternet connection is shared out using Sygate home network. I have a switch with several PCs attached and also a WAP.

the Wireless notebook then surfs the Internet via the WAP and the PC Gateway combo,

Reply to
sam1967

For now each PC uses its own dial-up. I was thinking about using ICS with Windows XP Home. Is there a better solution someone could recommend?

Reply to
Charlie

You might be able to find them on ebay, 3com officeconnect lan modem. Model 3c886, it's a 56k modem with 4 ethernet ports. Built-in dhcp and you can add more ports by adding a switch. Works great, I'm using it right now. My newsgroups are on dial-up.. You don't have to have 1 pc access the internet, it's all done from the modem...

"Charlie" wrote:

Reply to
gene martinez

ICS on XP home should be OK.

I tried ICS on my Windows 98 PC and it was horrible so I downloaded a copy of SYGATE Home Network which does the same job as ICS but much better.

simply install SHN and it really does the rest for you,.

set the IP address of the network card in the machine running SHN (and connected to the interben via the modem) to 192.168.0.1 and on the other PCs set the default gateway and DNS to 192.168.0.1

its that simple.

for your wireless,. simply plug your access point into the switch and set up your wireless laptop the same as the desktops

and bobs your uncle

Reply to
sam1967

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.