access ocean buoy readings from cell phone ...

I bought a samsung cell phone that can access wml type mobile websites. I was thinking of setting up a free web site that you can go to with a regular computer and set up a profile with just email/ password/state or province/country. From there you input the buoy numbers into any number of buoy profiles, and you get a wml url page that can be accessed from any phone that supports wml to see the current buoy readings. I would store the readings in a database and only screen scrape the actual buoys every hour as needed on demand. Say you could create a buoy profile for Ventura CA. Then from a cell phone you can see the buoys from that area. I was wondering if there'd be much of an interest in a site like that and if the wml type cell phone technology will be around for awhile ... ?

I've not quite seen a site like what I've described, though I have seen marine forcasts and some similar things.

I've done some websites in ruby on rails and have figured out a good way to scrape the buoys sites for the data.

Reply to
wbsurfver
Loading thread data ...

Maybe these guys can help...

formatting link
Mike G.

Reply to
Mike G.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.