A wiring question

I know this is a wireless group but I figger the ones that know wireless good will also know wired. I am setting up a wireless network for my 3 computers and am putting the router remote from any of the computers. I want to run a cat 5 from the router to one of the computers (insurance I guess and also trouble shooting). I bought the plugs to go in the wall receptacle at each end of the cable so all I have to do when I want it wired is get a short piece to go from the wall to the computer and another for the router. The instructions with the plugs give 2 schematics, one is EIA-T586B and one is EIA-T586A. Which should I use? L.D.

Reply to
L.D.
Loading thread data ...

A is the federal government one, but it doesn't really matter much as long as you're consistent.

formatting link

Reply to
Pen

Actually doesn't matter. Pick one and use it everywhere. I think EIA-T568B is the most popular, but it is probably 50-50 since stuff still comes labled with both.

Gordon Montgomery Living Scriptures, Inc snipped-for-privacy@lsi.com (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures) (801) 627-2000

Reply to
Gordon Montgomery

"L.D." hath wroth:

It doesn't matter as long as you're consistent. One wiring closet I did was a disaster. I was wiring 568B at the wall jacks, while my accomplis was wiring 568A in the wiring closet. Nothing worked. Pick a standard and stay with it.

I'm partial to 568B. That's because 99% of the commercial cables that I buy are wired for 568B. I also sometimes mix telco and network connections on a single CAT5 cable. When that happens, it's generally best to stay with the 568B telco standard, or the installers might get confused.

A bit of history. 568A is the offical recommended standard for new installations. 568B was invented somewhat later to placate AT&T which didn't feel like rewiring all their 258A StarLAN and phone installations. It was suppose to be an interim standard, but became permanent mostly because everyone assumed that 568B was "later" than

568A.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Everything that we do in our office is T-568B for no other reason than that's just the way we've always done it.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

Thanks to you all L.D.

Adair Witner wrote:

Reply to
L.D.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.