A Very Odd Question

**UPDATE** about the divx playback. (I know, I know OT, and I'm sorry)

I just tried playing my divx files in VirtualDub and it plays smoothly. Not much of a player, though. If I can just get *any* other player to work like VirtualDub, that would be beautiful.

I tried using WMP, RealPlayer, bsplayer, vlc player, quicktime and they all play the divx files choppy. I really don't want to be stuck with using VirtualDub, because of the limitations.

Reply to
imagoogler
Loading thread data ...

Tried it on 16bit, still choppy. I updated this thread stating that the divx files play smoothly in VitualDub, so I have no idea why WMP is giving me such problems.

Thank you. I'm going to try all of these things.

I'm going to benchmark and I'll post my results. And again, thank you for all your help.

I appreciate it, Jeff.

Reply to
imagoogler

OK, so try the 16 bit setting. Does it work better than the 32 bit setting for video? Duz it use less CPU cycles? If so, then we're on the right track.

That should work just fine. Try some video diagnostics and performance tests: :

formatting link
DxDiag (run from the "run" box) :
formatting link
formatting link
Pay attention to the frame rate. You should see at least 15fps.

Oh, that's cute. Apparently there are some counterfeit DIVX codecs. :

formatting link

Weak? The Sempron 2800+ requires PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 and PC3200 DDR unbuffered memory. I have no clue as to your motherboard and cannot suggest which is appropriate or supported. We're way off the topic and diving into areas that I don't want to spend the time. You have something slowing down the machine in various ways sufficiently to cause timeouts, disconnects, and slow video. I don't know where but suspect that they all have a common cause. Some benchmarks might show you were your system is bottlenecked. It could be almost anywhere.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You say you use DLink Wireless Does this mean a DLink Nic to DLink Router to Cable Modem or some other combination?If so what models?

Some people have problems with Zone Alarm and their DNS Servers, as a test try putting your DNS Server IP addresses in the "Trusted Zone"

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.