A netcard driver failed the query for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED How doyou fix?

Is this an X1030AP or X1030US?

If I were a suspicious person (which I am), I would ask why it takes "a few hours" for a software problem to appear. This reeks of hardware and overheating. I don't think it's software.

OID_Blah are calls to the NDIS driver. This is the interface between the operating system and the wireless card. The call was successful, but the card did not respond. Therefore, the most likely culprit is the wireless card.

My guess(tm) is that you're overheating something. It might be the wireless card, but I can't tell from here. The first thing to do is get some canned air and blow out the fan intake and exhaust area from the usual accumulation of dirt and dust.

Remove the wireless card. That's easy as it's accessible through a door on the bottom of the unit. Be VERY careful with the two u-FL antenna connectors. They break easily. What you are looking for is obvious damage, dirt, and improper seating in the connector. I could not determine the make and model, but such wireless cards are commonly available on eBay. Just buy or borrow a spare and see if it fixes the problem. Also, try running the unit with the cover off the wireless Mini-PCI slot to temporarily improve its cooling. If that "fixes" the problem, it's an overheated card. It's probably NOT the card that's causing the heating, but whatever is directly above the card (i.e. CPU).

If you're mechanically declined, disassemble the unit. Instructions are here:

formatting link
laptops are not easy to work with. If you have a digital camera, take photos as you go along, so you have a chance at re-assembly. What you are looking for is dirt, dust, and loose screws holding down the heat sinks attached to the major heat generating components. There may be as many as 4 fans in some units.

Also, I suggest you download and run Memtest86 ver 3.2:

formatting link
you don't have a floppish drive, download the bootable cdrom image. Boot and run the test overnight. If there are any errors of any type in the CPU, motherboard, and memory, this will usually display something. It's very possible that the error has nothing to do with the wireless card and some other hardware issue. If you do get errors, try the test again with the wireless card removed.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

This is a cross post because my original seemed to be a newsgroup that has nothing by spam and bizarre, infantile, scatological post responses on it:

I have been having this problem since I got the machine, and the COMPAQ HP outsourced tech workers from India could never identify the problem. A friend recently helped me find and run system error events and now that my system is out of warranty, the tech "help" in India wants me to buy a new warranty so they can " help" me identify and fix the problem I had when the system was under warranty! Yeah, right. However, they did say the problem was software and not hardware, and I did buy an extended 3 year warranty from Staples for the hardware. I have registry mechanic, but it doesn't seem to fix this problem. I would greatly appreciate help in fixing this software problem, if it is indeed a software problem.

Symptoms: wireless connection disconnects, while signal is still strong. Cursor freezes, requires a hard restart. Happens after a few hours. Intel Centrino on Presario X1030 with XP SR-2 update.

Thanks in Advance! Jeff

Event Type: Error Event Source: PSched Event Category: None Event ID: 14103 Date: 7/14/2005 Time: 2:43:29 PM User: N/A Description: QoS [Adapter {08502695-3D36-4C94-BCE0-6AD505141A99}]: The netcard driver failed the query for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED. Explanation This event record indicates a serious problem. User Action Contact your technical support group or the Microsoft Product Support Services.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

formatting link
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz Version x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5 Speed 1395 MHz

Memory (RAM) Total Capacity 512 MB 256 MB 256 MB

Support Phone Number aUnited States Remember this choice 208-472-4357

Hard Drive Total Capacity: 37.25 GB Sum of Hard Disks ( C: ) Used: 10.69 GB Free: 26.56 GB

Other Hardware Modem Agere Systems AC'97 Modem Video MOBILITY RADEON 9200 Driver: 6.14.10.6436 Audio SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio Printer null ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jefferis Peterson, Pres. Web Design and Marketing

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

Well, they both use the same NDIS 5 driver, so changing the configuration program doesn't really identify the source.

No, it won't identify the culprit, but it might circumvent the problem. If it really is a hardware issue involving the MiniPCI wireless card, then replaceing the card *MIGHT* offer a solution. If you have a different PCMCIA wireless card, I suggest that you: 1. Uninstall the Intel Proset Drivers for your existing card. 2. Physically remove the MiniPCI Intel wireless card. 3. Install the replacement wireless PCMCIA card and drivers. I would suggest replacement with another MiniPCI wireless card, instead of a PCMCIA card, but it might be fun to try it, especially if you have one.

Well, sorta. If you get good reliable wireless connectivity with a PCMCIA card, with the internal MiniPCI card removed, then you are fairly sure it's either the MiniPCI card driver or hardware. Yeah, methinks it's worth the effort trying.

However, my best guess(tm) is still based on dirt and overheating. I've seen it all too often. Blow the vents and fans out anyway. Make sure the cooling system actually works. Look for overheating (extra hot exhaust air). Removeing the keyboard to expose the fans and internals isn't too awful.

Don't be so hard on India. Their personnel are restricted to providing guesses based solely what can be found on the HP web pile. For most issues, this is probably adequate. No way are they going to refer you to a mailing list, newsgroup, blog, or web pile, that might have clues as to the cause of your problem. I've pushed for the ability for support organizations to do this, but have been blocked by the pontential compensatory and liability issues. In addition, support personnel often have little experience with the actual hardware as it is often necessary to get one's hands dirty in order to supply intelligent answers and direction.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the help Jeff, This is an X1030US and the problem appeared both when running under native Windows wireless and the Intel Proset for the wireless internal card. Would a PCMCIA Card in the slot be able to check the problem? I.e., if the problem doesn't occur with the PCMCIA Card, then that isolates at least the internal hardware ?

I am printing out your email for further review and testing. I suspected it might be a hardware problem. No amount of tech help from india would have solved it :-(

Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jefferis Peterson, Pres. Web Design and Marketing

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

Thanks again Jeff,

But I was assured it was a "software" problem that could be fixed by tech support, if I only paid for an extended tech help warranty. :-( What I've found is that they really don't know what they are talking about either in a software situation or a hardware one. Apple tech has always been great, by contrast.

Jeff

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

Hi Jeff, Does the memtest-86 keep running indefinitely? It has run all night and Passed 22 without errors, through test #6, but it doesn't say how many tests in total it will do...

Thanks

Jeff ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jefferis Peterson, Pres. Web Design and Marketing

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

I wrote this about 15 years ago:

I am tech support, and I know it all. I anxiously wait for your latest call. You've only to play, the game of voice mail, I'll be there shortly, I'm working my tail. Now tell me your problem, and what did you do? This cannot have happened. I haven't a clue. I may have the answer, though it's slightly late, Just buy the next version, release, or update. Next, tell me your problem, no matter how small, I am tech support, and I know it all...

Of course. Apple will only support a 100% pure Apple environment. If you want to see the same effect, call Apple with a WEP key compatibility issue on an Airport base station using non-Apple client radios. As for wonderful service, Apple has had their share of non-replaceable IPod batteries, overheating power supplies, flakey connectors, Powebook hinges that break, unobtainable parts, and overpriced repairs. Of course, all problems can be solved by simply purchasing Applecare.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes. It goes on and on forever until stopped. It's safe to just punch reset or kill the power. 22 passes is more than sufficient to demonstrate that there are no memory, CPU, and motherboard issues. There are some options to do a "complete" test, but I've found this to be un-necessary. If you have a possible memory error that shows up in a few hours, running it overnight will usually show something.

That being said, I was dealing with erratic problems on a Toughbook M34 that was eventually traced to an incompatible SODRAM stick. It would pass Memtest86 running over a weekend, but would still blue screen the machine after a few hours. Therefore, it seems that Memtest86 isn't infallible, but it's the best I can offer.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks, So the problem may still be dust or the wireless card itself - i.e., hardware related? But the CPU is probably clear... That is good isolation. Got to go to the store and get canned air... As the next step. Jeff

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

Coincidence. I don't think there's any connection. The only way I can visualize there could be a connection is if the TV were generating some manner of signal that was affecting the wireless, not the cable modem. Were this the case, I would have expected more frequent hangs. Just unplug the cable modem coax cable, and see if you get a similar hang. Methinks, it's improbable.

How long was the computer turned on before the TV allegedly killed it? The key to this exercise are two factoids. It takes several hours for it to hang. The wireless driver aparently goes comatose just before it dies. Both of these point to hardware issues. If there really is a hardware problem, then almost any power line disturbance (such as turning on the TV) might generate enough of a glitch to hang the machine. If so, it's probably repeatable. Try it.

Methink you're fishing for probable causes other than hardware. It would be nice if it were software, interference, the TV, or mystic influence. These are unlikely. I've asked several questions and recommended proceedures that revolve around identifying the cause as either overheating or a flakey wireless card. You've supplied no additional information as to whether overheating seems to be an issue (i.e. fan doesn't work or blows rather hot air). You've made no attempt to see if it does NOT hang without the wireless card and using a LAN connection. I suspect you've exhausted the driver reinstallation angle. You've supplied no history so I can't tell if this is an OEM problem or if something has failed. You had a good idea by substituting a PCMCIA wireless card, but apparently have done nothing with it. You've run the memory and CPU test, which do NOT involve the wireless card in any way. From here, it looks like you're "dancing" around the problem. Perhaps it might be best if you list those things that you know are NOT a problem. I think you'll find overheating and the wirless card are left when you're done.

If you don't feel confident that you can deal with hardware issues, I suggest you find a local repair person who can help or advise. I can only guess(tm) from here.

Drivel: One of my friends is a programmer. He called for help with some weird video problem. I smelled hardware and suggested he buy a replacement video card. No way. A week later, he's rewriting the video driver and reverse engineering the bios. I arrive and find him running a debugger on something. 30 minutes later, I installed a $35 replacement video card, new drivers, and it was fixed. We all tend to look for problems and solutions first in our area of expertise.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's a very big fan located on the back right of the unit. You should hear it when it runs or at least feel the hot air exhaust. The PDF file I suggested you download shows the exact location. There might be other fans on the back.

I've dealt with other similar Compaq laptops (sorry, forgot the model) that would not work with more than one RAM chip due to overheating. You might wanna remove the cover on the ram chips and see just how hot they really are running, or if the area around the ram chips are doing the heating. I don't think this is the problem, but I'm curious. Also, running most laptops flat on the table without any airflow under the laptop, or worse, on a foam pad, will cause problems and possibly overheating. Methinks your x1030 is a 1.4Ghz Pentium M, which does not get anywhere near as hot as the current crop of 3GHz laptops.

Play a video DVD on the laptop. That beats the hell out the CPU and should get it's attention. You may also wanna play with the power management settings. Set them for "maximum performance" which is the same as flat out. My guess(tm) is if it's the wireless card, it will hang more often and quicker. It's difficult to convince a Pentium M processor to waste power, but not impossible.

I think you have enough evidence to request a replacement wireless card. It's not going to hang unless the wireless is in use. That's why I wanted you to verify that it works normally for extended periods with the MiniPCI wireless card physically removed. If it does, then it's highly likely (but not guaranteed) that the card is defective.

If defective, you have the option of just buying one on eBay and getting on with life, or doing battle with the warranty people. Unlike defective motherboard failures, this one is an easy plug-n-play $20-$30 replacement.

Microsoft slogan. What to you want to reinstall today?

Nope. I use a DVD video to beat up on the processor.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't know if this is related, but my wife just turned on the TV in the next room and I dropped my wireless signal and computer froze [ XP not my mac]. My Cable modem is same cable as cable TV, although the wall port is in a different location. My TV interferes with wireless signal, and computer freezes? A friend replies:

internet connection is over same cable

so software and not hardware?

as a driver problem, but the wireless interface card could actually be the root cause.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

formatting link
on my desktop, but I dunno about your laptop.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It won't be the last time someone forgot to plug in the CPU fan. I hate to admit that I've done this a few times, but it's the last thing that gets done before putting the keyboard back and it tends to be overlooked.

When you first power on the unit, the BIOS is suppose to run the fan a full blast for about 1/2 second. The idea is to break loose any crud, loosen the bearing, etc. It's like that on almost all laptops I've seen. The fan doesn't run for very long, but you will certainly hear it run, or feel the exhaust air. Note that it's when powered on, not when recovering from standby or after a reboot.

Also, get the can of compressed air and do your thing. You should hear the squirrel cage fan spinning when you hit it with air.

Also, the CMOS setup often has a status page that displays cpu temperature and fan speeds. No clue on this laptop, but it's worth looking.

Also, it takes some time for the DVD to burn enough CPU cycles to get the Pentium M hot. At 1.4Ghz, my astute guess is about 5 minutes. Give it time.

So much for topic drift and wireless troubleshooting.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff, I am on my way to get compressed air this afternoon, so that was the next step. I haven't been out since I started the process. I do remember however that I never had the crash when connected via ethernet cable. This may sound lame, but I don't know if I have ever heard the fan on the X1030. I lift it to my ears, but there is no sound from it. The fan is not spinning from visual inspection from the bottom. However, while it does feels warm near the ram panel, the computer does not feel exceptionally hot. Usually, I am not accessing the hard drive for web monitoring I do, since all the data seems to feed directly to active RAM. I do hear the whirr when saving data and accessing the HD but I always assumed that was the drive itself and not the fan... I am trying to do activities that will force the fan to work but I am not seeming to have any luck.

DrWatson is not tracking any errors or writing to disk when these freezes occur.

I don't have an extra PCMCIA card, so I will have to buy one to do the test, which I hesitated to do, since ahem... If it is hardware related, it is under extended warranty :-( and the repair should be free, IF I can convince them that I have narrowed it to hardware. The problem with intermittent problems is that they don't show up for tech support when you want them to!

I have reinstalled software drivers with updates several times.

Any command prompt to force the fan to go into overdrive?

Jeff

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

Thanks for the advice. I found some articles on running fan checks with scripts, but they are not found on my system:

formatting link

C:\\>cscript c:\\scripts\\fan.vbs Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved. Active Cooling: True Availability: 3 Device ID: root\\cimv2 0 Name: Cooling Device Status Information: 2

formatting link
And I saved this code, but can't seem to run it either: Script Code On Error Resume Next

strComputer = "." Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _ & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\\\" & strComputer & "\\root\\cimv2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Fan")

For Each objItem > Microsoft slogan. What to you want to reinstall today?

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

Dang, DVD playing but fan does not kick in. Feels hot near ram case, but nowhere else. Wonder if I have a dead fan jeff

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

Hi Jeff, Can't help the drift. :-) but appreciate the straight answers. I asked these questions on an appropriate list and all I got back was expletive deleted screed about all sorts of off topic and unrelated things I might do to bodily orifices.

The fan does kick on when booting, so it is plugged in, however 10 minutes of saving private ryan still did not cause it to kick in.

I got the compressed air and will do some disassembly. And a friend is going to lend me a spare Wireless Card tomorrow. When I stopped into Staples, the manager said that the freeze sounds like what happens when the computer overheats. Not sure why it didn't do that for Ethernet connections, but perhaps the wireless card is more sensitive. DrWatson is not logging errors, so it is deeper than system lockups I guess. If I find out anything, I'll post a followup.

Jeff

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

Hi Jeff, Well, I pulled apart the various panels, used compressed gas, fan spins easily and everything seems normal, though I rarely seem to hear the fan kick on aside from startup. I angled the laptop so underside is not on a flat surface, and with no TV or radio interference, the computer again lost wireless signal and froze. Dr. Watson detects no faults.

I tried to test the system with a Netgear MA401b card, but from my previous post on another thread, I cannot get the dang thing to work with my system. The card does not see the wireless B broadcast at all. So I can't test a work around with that card. I talked with the Staples manager [by no means a tech wizard] but he said that the freeze sounds like an overheat shutdown. But my question is why if, once I reboot, the computer will again operate for hours without another freeze? If it were too hot, it would likely be too hot after an immediate reboot.

Computer may be under warranty, but trying to convince them I have a hardware problem may be pushing a rock uphill.

Jeff

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

Ok, so it's probably not overheating. Did you hear the fan spin and feel any hot air coming from the vents?

"Can't get it to work" is a bit vague. It should do 802.11b unless you have your wireless router set to "802.11g only".

That was my theory. However, different computers react differently to over temperature. I have an IBM A22p on the bench that's overheating. When it gets to 60C on the CPU, it just turns off.

True and I agree. It should fail almost immediately if it really is hot. Methinks we can forget about the overheating theory.

See if HP or Staples has a Sisyphus expert.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.