A Belkin Pre-N router with Belkin Pre-N PCMCIA card : Question

I just had setup a A Belkin Pre-N router with Belkin Pre-N PCMCIA card. Router has great range (about 300ft. ) but I still need about 5-6 feet more, so close. I have the router on my desktop PC and the card in my laptop. When I go next door accross the street to take care of my Mom, I like to take my laptop with me. I get just inside the doorway and I lose the signal. Is there anyway to boost my signal strength to my laptop . Would there be something I could put on my laptop or my Mom's house(antenna) ect. to get a little stonger signal? Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you. Brenda

Reply to
BGrimes155
Loading thread data ...

You sure it isn't just the number of walls its gone through rather than the range itself? How far is the router from the the closest wall to your mums?

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Can you move your router to the front of your house closer to your Mom's. If not, add a range extender or a directional antenna

Reply to
Alan White

Brenda -

We've been using the Pre-N equipment for a couple of months now with

resounding success. I've also been curious, though, about extending the

range even more. Although the router's 3 antennas are fixed to the box,

I've read enough posts with photos to see that the F5D8230-4 antennas

are connected to the main board in the router by Hirose U.FL

connectors. Although we haven't proven it ourselves, it should be

relatively easy to open the box, disconnect the 3 stock antennas, and

replace with three 7 dBi rubber duck antennas on tilt/swivel mounts. My

guess is that this would improve the range pretty dramatically, even

beyond its current superb performance.

Reply to
jonazen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.