802.11G health issue and home network cabling question

snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote

Yes.

Oh bullshit. And what I meant is that the power outlets will be obvious, so you only need to be careful where there are power outlets. There is very unlikely to be any power wiring where there are no power outlets particularly when you are mounting the cat5/6 outlets well up from the floor.

Reply to
Rod Speed
Loading thread data ...

decaturtxcowboy hath wroth:

Are you sure about that? I got into an argument about the proper spacing of Arrow T25 type staples. One expert said that they should be as close together as necessary to prevent droop. Another suggested, that too many staples would fail certification. My guess is that there would be problems only if they punctured the bundle. Everyone was wrong.

So, we tried it. I took a 4ft x 4ft chunk of plywood and stapled about 50ft of CAT5e in a serpentine pattern to the plywood. I started with staples every inch but when both hands finally started to hurt, I switched to about 2" spacing. My guess is about 300-400 staples total.

The plywood was not very consistent and I did flatten the cable with about 30-50 staples. I also nicked the jacket a few times, but no punctures.

We tested the mess with a (borrowed) Fluke DSP-4000 Cable Analyzer. No problems passing at 100Mbits/sec.

Arrow T59A or T75. Kinda expensive, projecting, and UGLY. |

formatting link

I prefer duct tape, RTV, spackle, and plastic wood. Great for hiding my mistakes.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Could you please give me some examples? Thanks!

Reply to
T. T.

T. T. wrote

Nope, but others have and its trivial to google for.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's an interesting opinion about needing wall stud attachment and may even be code in some places but it's not a majority view. Even among "pros".

Home Depot and Lowes both now carry the "orange" old work boxes for doing this without stud attachment. They work quite well and unless you mess up, no sheet rock repair required.

Reply to
DLR

You make mistakes? Say it ain't so, Joe (err Jeff)

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Everytime the wife gives me grief about layin round getting nothing done, I blame the wireless and its effects on health.

Reply to
JAD

rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) hath wroth:

I prefer "Jack D. Repair". I once made some business cards with that name on it. I didn't work as expected because too many people didn't understand the pun.

I recently installed an extra PVC pipe on the wall behind my relay rack full of radio junk to the roof. My other conduits were maxed out full of coax cable, CAT5, fiber, RG-6/u, rotator cable, wx station cable, signal wire, etc. The standard procedure is measure twice, cut once. That works fine, but not while getting interrupted every few minutes by obnoxious friends with computah problems. I missed drilling by about 1/4" into the wall. Argh. I had planned to use a 1 1/2" PVC pipe, but that won't work partially buried into the wall. So, I dug out the jig saw, enlarged the hole to fit a 2" PVC pipe, mounted the pipe, and patched the mistake with spackle, plastic wood, and roofing tar. Nobody will ever know unless I show them.

Like I said... I hide my mistakes.

To err is human and I need to reassure myself occasionally.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

And ya cut it again and it was still too short... heh heh heh

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

The network card LAN lights lite up, and no shorts and good continuity in all the pairs. It was a 150 ft run. I suppose one could try to duplicate it with some very very tight skinny nylon wire ties and see what happens.

Nevertheless, that was indeed an interesting you tried.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

decaturtxcowboy hath wroth:

Ok. If you had continuity (and not split pairs), then all that's left is crosstalk and reflections.

Pass. My hands were a wreck after about 200 staples. I couldn't play piano for 2 days. If I'm going to do nylon cable stranglers, then I'll see if I can borrow a pneumatic cable tie tool.

I got inspired by TV's "Myth Busters". I like to do technical urban legend type of tests. I didn't do these photos but they show that the common guesswork for losses in coax adapters at 2.4GHz is way too high. All those connectors only contributed 2.1dB of loss at 2.4GHz or about 0.09dB per connector pair. |

formatting link
|
formatting link
I have some others but I don't wanna start yet another arguement.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

In comp.dcom.cabling decaturtxcowboy wrote in part:

No insult, but are you sure you didn't split pairs? That usually gives lights & continuity, but no signal.

Other than that, I've heard _uniform_ stapling can create a "notch filter".

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Heavens no..no insult taken, but always good to offer another suggestion. Anyway, pairs were good.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

I'm reaching way back into some distant memories for this and I may be wrong but given that 300MHz is a 1m wavelength I think you in effect made a STP cable. You'd want to space out the staples much more than 1" or 2" for this test.

Reply to
DLR

(snip)

Some time ago I thought about testing 10baseT with a common mode

240VAC signal, but I never got around to actually doing it. That would be pretty convincing that you don't have to worry about nearby power cables.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.