802.11g CardBus adapter recommendation?

I'm looking for recommendations for an 802.11g 54 Mbps Wireless CardBus adapter for use in an IBM T41 running Windows XP sp2. I just need plain old 54 Mbps 'g', preferably with WPA-PSK2/AES. A stable connection is more important than speed or anything else.

I've tried a NETGEAR WG511 (the original version, not the v2: ISL3890 chipset, v2.0, Taiwan) with latest drivers (both the 2.1.25 unsigned driver distributed in NETGEAR's v300 package, and the signed 3.03.20 version which Windows finds somewhere on the Net) but it flakes out fairly often in a big way. It drops the connection, and needs some sequence I don't yet fully understand to get it back, but it involves removing the drivers altogether and reinstalling them. Sometimes popping and re-inserting the card will fix it, but not always. I suspect bad hardware, but I'd welcome any other ideas on this.

Thanks for any recommendations for a replacement card; also for suggestions on how to get the WG511 working reliably, or confirmation that I have a faulty card.

Reply to
J. J. Farrell
Loading thread data ...

For the record: the problems with the WG511 turned out to be an interaction with PCI Power Management on the T41. Since I've disabled PCI Power Management, the WG511 has been very reliable; the 3.03.20 driver supports WPA2-PSK/AES and works solidly with the Windows XP Wireless management software.

I don't know if the PCI Power Management issue is caused by the WG511 or its driver, or by the chipset in the T41. I strongly suspect the latter as other I/O issues have been behaving better since I disabled it.

Reply to
J. J. Farrell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.