8-Loop Quad Stack

I found this picture of an 8 Loop quad.

2.32 GHz 8-loop spaced Quad stack with +-8° vertical and +-35° horizontal HPBW.

formatting link
Here's the original website, (no info)
formatting link
Just for kicks. Mikek

Reply to
amdx
Loading thread data ...

Go kick thyself. That's a perfectly good antenna design with one problem. It's twice as long as the crossed over quad wiring scheme for the same gain. I'm too lazy to build an NEC2 model right now to verify this. The straight sections are 180 phase shifting, non-radiating, transmission lines. You can get the same 180 degree phase shift by just alternating the phase of each adjacent quad by crossing over the wires.

More quad quandary:

Notice that it's really 4ea double biquad antennas on a single reflector, with 4 feed points. Those go to three Wilkinson power combiners/splitters which are good for about 2-3dB total loss. In other words, all the gain achieved by doubling the size of the antenna is lost in the combiners.

Circularly polarized 1.28GHz biquad (just to be different):

Nice design with a built in sleeve balun.

Impedance and gain of various loop antennas:

If you want to go insane with building quads, try a curtain quad:

Or, you could extend a Sterba Curtain array:

While these are usually used for HF, it can be scaled down to 2.4GHz and looks much like the double biquad.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

... and lose significant capture area.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

I don't follow the argument over capture area. The phasing elements are not "capturing" signal. This is much like though coax colinears where half the antenna isn't capturing signal.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.