7 dBi Antenna

Thinking about grabbing a Dlink 7 dBi omni-directional antenna for my wireless NIC. Not sure its going to help me, but I figure its worth a shot.

But I'm wondering why nics/routers come with 2 dBi antennas by default.... why isnt 5 or 7 dBi the default?

Reply to
Dennis
Loading thread data ...

Almost all, I think.

As to the 5/7dbi default suggestion, it's a matter of cost.

Many home users won't desire anything above 2dbi - and would whinge if they were paying $30AUD extra for something they don't really need.

Reply to
David Fairbrother

also - there is no "free lunch".... There is X amount of power delivered to the antenna connector & antenna. That energy can be highly focused in one direction with a dish, or spread around with an onmi-directional antenna. And then - even with the omnis - the donut shape that surrounds the antenna, as if the donut was sitting over the stick - the "roundness" vs "flatness" of the donut is the amount of db gain you want.

SO - you flatten out the donut - and expand the horizontal range, but then give up the vertical roundness and coverage - up or down to other floors -

Reply to
ps56k

I'm similar with the donut shape omni directional antennas create. But here's a question: What is the approximate veritical height of the donut? 20 feet? 200 feet? (on a 2 dBi 2.4gzh antenna)

and what is the veritical height when using a 7 dBi antenna?

Reply to
Dennis

The donut does not have a "height". I does have a width, measured at the half power (-3dB) points.

I just ran some quicky 4NEC2 antenna models for some typical vertical collinear antennas. The -3dB vertical radiation angle is approximately:

Dipoles Approx length Gain Vertical (with decoupler) -3d rad angle cm dBi degrees 1 9.5 2 85(?) 2 15.8 5 40 4 28.4 8 15 8 53.6 11 8

16 104 15 4

Note that the length of the antenna doubles for every 3dB gain. The antenna length does NOT include any consideration for downtilt, phasing section losses, or length added by top isolation or mounting contrivances.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

a quick random search..... for antenna pattern info -

formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

Cost, size, appearance, directionality.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.