5 kilometer with 24 Db Parabolic Grid ??

Well, I've only posted the math for this about 5 times in the last 3 weeks, but it goes fairly quickly. As usual, you didn't supply enough information to do a decent calculation. Fill in the following.

- Which version WAP11 do you have? The 1.0 and 1.1 versions were junk. The transmit power and receive sensitivity vary with each version.

- What access point is on the other end of the link? I'll assume another WAP11.

- Are you going to have a 24dBi dish at BOTH ends of the link, or are you trying to connect to something else at the unspecified access point? I'll assume two 24dBi dishes.

- How much coaxial cable do you plan to use at each end? I'll assume LMR-400.

- Do you have a clear line of sight including the Fresnel zone clearance?

formatting link
At 5km, you need 1.7 meters radius clearance at midpoint.

Since your WAP11v? is limited to 802.11b, your receive sensitivity will be approximately: - 11Mbps CCK, -82dBm - 5.5Mbps CCK, -85dBm - 2Mbps QPSK, -86dBm - 1Mbps BPSK, -89dBm I'm going to arbitrarily decide to try for 5.5Mbits/sec, so the receive sensitivity will be -85dbm

Plugging into:

formatting link
Distance = 3.1miles Tx power = 12dBm Tx ant gain = 24dBi Rx and gain = 24dBi Tx cable loss = 3dB (including connectors) RX cable loss = 3dB RX sens = -85dBm (for 5.5Mbits/sec)

This yields a fade margin (SOM) of 25dB. That should work just fine assuming my guesswork is correct and you don't pickup any multipath or interference in between the two dish antennas and that you have a clear line of sight including the fresnel zone. I've also assumed very little coaxial cable (about 10ft). If you're planning to use more coax cable, adjust the tx and rx cable losses acordingly. Don't forget 0.5dB per connector pair plus pigtail losses. I also selected some rather conservative values for tx power and rx sensitivity that reflect some of my bench testing on WAP11v1.1 boxes.

A 5.5Mbit/sec connection will give you about 2Mbits/sec thruput (again assuming there's no interference).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

i have linksys wap11 and i want to connect to 5 kilometer far AP is the

24 Db Parabolic Grid
formatting link
ok

for that kind of connection?? i mean what will my connection speed?

Reply to
purple

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.