5 GHz range

5GHz quits when I walk to far end of house. The 2.4GHz still gives a good signal from same router. I expected it would have been good for at least the same distance as 2.4GHz.

The router is Tplink AC 1750 Model No. Archer C7

Is this normal for 5GHz signal to NOT reach as far as 2.4GHz?

Reply to
Dusty
Loading thread data ...

Yes it is normal. Typically with higher the radio frequency at the same power level as a lower frequency signal environmental things like walls and furniture cause a weaker signal on the higher frequency for the same range.

formatting link

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Does 802.11n automatically switch between 2.4 & 5GHz as needed?

My phone let's me manually connect to either SSID. The Roku & tablet won't even see the 5GHz SSID. When the phone is connected to 5GHz a program called Fing can see the Roku & tablet even when they're connected to the 2.4GHz SSID.

The tablet & Roku are supposed to be 802.11n.

Is there a program to tell me if I'm actually connected to G, N, B or whatever?

Reply to
Dusty

Yes the N standard can switch between between 2.4 and 5Ghz provided the router is configured to allow it, which is usually the default.

Most routers do allow you to lock it at a specific frequency. In your case it sounds like you might do better to go into the router and try locking it at 2.4 or the G standard. That should make your existing equipment operate a little smoother together.

Unfortunately none of my PC's or phones work in the 5Ghz band so I can't provide more definite info.

Hopefully others here can give you more informed information on this.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

I'm no expert, but I "think" ac routers can do *both* 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time (assuming all the equipment is ac).

Reply to
M. Stradbury

802.11ac is only in 5GHz, not in 2.4GHz. (2.4GHz supports 11n/11g/11b but not 11ac.) Therefore, an 11ac access point must have a 5GHz radio, but need not have a 2.4GHz radio.

That said, I'm not aware of any 11ac AP that does not have a 2.4GHz radio. (That said, I won't guarantee that we'll never produce such a thing.)

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
aaron

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.