5 Acres - Internet Setup

Hi,

I have 5 acres with a workshop 200 yards from the house where we have our main PC. We are unable to get cable or DSL and must use a dialup service. We can get a Satelite dish and I'd like to be able to use my notebook PC in the workshop to access the internet.

I understand that I'm going to have to have a wirless setup and some type of "booster" to do so. Has anybody else done this? If so, I'd like to know how it was setup. If it's working for you, I'll duplicate the system here.

T.I.A.

Reply to
Born2win
Loading thread data ...

So, you are considering DirecPC, right?

Anyway, MIMO routers are good and I like the ParkerVision 1500, but others will tell you to get an antenna and mount it on a tower. My problem with antennas is that it's so variable -- it might work in your shop, it might not. Well, all wireless tech is that way, so...

I've tested 50 routers and 10 antenas and had better luck with routers getting that far. Incidentaly:

MIMO -- 1500 feet, G PV1500 -- 2 miles, but B only Antennas -- 600-1000 feet or entire neighborhoods

If it was me (and, by the way, it *is me -- I am going to go with the ParkerVision soon) I would moutn the sat. in the shop and feed up to the house, because the shop is where I would really need reliable access, and the house would be more optional.

Reply to
JB

if you dont want to put out the money for a satelite, you can use wireless with a dialup too. I did for quite a while

Reply to
Airhead

For the record, Starband (starband.com) is a viable alternative for Satellite Internet, albeit pricey.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

I am in the same shape having to use a 26.4 dial-up connection for 4 PC's. I am hoping that WildBlue will come to my rescue sometime this summer.

formatting link

Reply to
Lars

WildBlue has been hyping their system for 4 years. It appears they finally got their satellite launched? Personally, I'd recommend at least looking at Starband (

formatting link
), before contracting with WildBlue. Starband has 5 years of real consumer service under their belt, and unless Wildblue equipment prices and installations are really really cheap, they aren't any cheaper or better than Starband. Their rates certainly aren't any cheaper than Starband's.

Ed ( former Starband customer since their day one. )

Reply to
Ed

On the Wildblue.com website the only reference to equipment costs states, " *Installation and equipment fees are extra and will be determined at a future date ". I assume your information is accurate? If so, then Wildblue sure beats the equipment costs of Starband, although the unknown installation fee may still be a killer.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

What I like about the service is they just hand it off to you as an Ethernet port and there is no extra software to install. Just front end it with something like a Linksys router. I also saw a posting in Broadband Reports that showed that Oklahoma will be in the second group.

Lars

Reply to
Lars

Lack of coverage might be important as well. I put in about 10 zip codes before I gave up.

Reply to
dold

We have Direcway Satelite internet going out from a Linksys WRT54G

wireless router into a amplifier, antenna on a mast, and 4 buildings as

far as 6-700 feet away get the internet with WAP's on the other ends

with directional antennas and it is just as fast for them as it is for

the LAN from the router. 300 feet away I use a laptop with a Senao

card and a 2db 3" antenna and get full reception/transmit.

Reply to
gwoiler

That would be identical to the current DirecPC offering. Except for the Oklahoma part, DirecPC is available all over the US.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.