3com access point and dhcp service

I am installing a 3com office connect access point on to our LAN. I'm a bit confused as to whether or not to enable to DHCP service on the access point. Our domain has a Win2K server running a DNS and DHCP. Would the DHCP on the access point only server the wireless devices, or would it try to also serve the wired machines and thereby cause a conflict?

When I tried without the DHCP enabled on the access point the wireless machines didn't receive an IP. I enabled it but gave it a different scope than the 2K DHCP just to be on the safe side. It works like this, but I still don't think it's the proper way. Can anybody help out?

Reply to
paristotle
Loading thread data ...

This may sound dumb as it seems you know what your doing but just in case:

You are plugging the cat5 from your LAN into the WAN of the AP?? Sorry but have seen it done before.

Reply to
DS

This is what I did. I gave each DHCP a different pool of addresses so that there would be no conflicts. Initially that worked, but as I added the third laptop I noticed by its' IP address that it had received an address from our server's DHCP and not from the a/p.

Then I went to look at the client list on the a/p and found that it had given out addresses to some wired machines. So even though they are giving out different addresses they are trying to service the same LAN and this will cause problems.

Windows 2K DHCP is supposed to generate an alert when there is another unauthorized DHCP on the same LAN, but so far I have not seen it.

Reply to
paristotle

Not sure as to why you didn't get an ip address. If the a/p is on a switch/network that has dhcp you should get an ip address just like if you plugged into the switch..

Can't you set the scope so that it's the same but using ip, as from your switch dhcp 192.168.123.1 to100 and from your a/p 192.168.123.101 to 254 that way all would work and no over lap ip's...

>
Reply to
gene martinez

Why would it cause a problem? If they are both offering the same range then there shouldn't be an issue unless you want to say why.

The AP DHCP service is operating correctly, it's a DHCP service, it doesn't need to care whether it's the wired or wireless and because the AP is just a layer 2 bridge it's very possible as you've seen, that the wired DHCP server will also service clients.

There really is no benefit to running the access point DHCP service.

Nope, it's only for detecting Windows 2000/2003 DHCP servers which haven't been authorised in Active Directory.

formatting link
So just stop doing DHCP on the AP.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I agree that doing DHCP on the AP is a bad idea, but initially I had to in order to get this thing to work. Oddly enough the DHCP option only appears in the configuration windows when I assign a static IP to the AP. Maybe I'll let the AP get its' IP from my 2K server. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Reply to
paristotle

Exactly what I thought when I was trying this yesterday. Except I could NOT get the Win server to give me an IP, which made it a little difficult to find the AP to turn the DHCP back on. In my case it's a WRT54G with Talisman and I was just testing it with a Win95 machine with internet connection sharing, so it's possible that the DHCP server under ICS is simply too crippled to be useful, but it was frustrating, anyway.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Why would you have to configure to do dhcp to assign a static ip address? It's quite sensible to only let you make it offer dhcp when it has a static ip address otherwise it wouldn't know what scope to offer addresses from.

Why not just assign the ap a static address?

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.