300 foot wireless?

Greetings All, I found this group from a reccommendation in the basic electronics group. To save 50 bucks a month I need to get the DSL signal to travel

300 feet. I have a shop where the DSL comes in. It is 300 feet from my house. The area is rural and there are only a couple trees between the buildings. I can get a completely obstruction free view from the shop to the house if I mount an antenna on the roof of each building. It looks like I can use parabolic antennas to send the signals. One web site has instructions for a "poorman's wifi" using cookware for the parabolic antennas. Is this a good way to go? Can I just buy a wireless router and put the antennas at the focal points of parabolic cookware? This idea really appeals to me just for the humor factor. Thank You, Eric R Snow
Reply to
Eric R Snow
Loading thread data ...

Hows your shop get it's power? Mine was about the same distance away from the house, was powered from the same electric as the house (same leg off the transformer/one meter, then to house and to garage/shop). Had sat in the garage, but wanted to get internet in the house (we were also in northern idaho, ie lots of green stuff in the summer, and lots of snow in the winter, both mess up wireless big time)

Ended up using the netgear powerline bridge

formatting link
under $120 at best buy)....

Reply to
Peter Pan

formatting link

I've got a wireless one working at over 800' with a wrt54g at the dsl end and a buffalo 'converter' (sorry; don't have the model number handy) at the other. The buffalo has a simple 90 degree reflector copied from one of the 'free wifi' sites; I made it using thin aluminum roof flashing & insulation foam to hold its shape & to attach to the antenna.

If you've got clear line of site & can put simple reflectors on both units, 300' should be very easy & cheap.

Reply to
Charlie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.