3 out of 4 comps work

I have a wireless Netgear router with 4 ports on it. Now originally, none of my computers were able to connect to the router, but I have changed the channel wirelessly to channel 6 and three computers have now successfully connected to the router. Nonetheless, there is still one computer that is detecting a signal from the router, but stating that there is limited connectivity (even though signal strength is excellent.) This was what the original problem was and this was rectified when I changed the channel.

Would it help if I were to change the channel on the router again?

Reply to
Worzel Gummidge
Loading thread data ...

Have you changed the SSID? Its quite possible that if you didn't change the SSID from "default" and that you are connecting to a neighbor's Netgear router. I have seen this more than once.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

LOL, setting up my first wireless router later tonight and I'll be sure to watch that one.... ;-)

Reply to
Shawk

I had a client using their neighbor's router and internet connection for a year before they realized what was happening.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Reply to
John Navas

Yea I have changed the SSID but still the problem. The computer is showing as connected to MY router with a good connection, however with limited connectivity. When I rang Netgear because this was the problem on all 4 computers originally, they told me to change the channel and hey presto, three computers connected. He said it was something to do with the waves from the TVs and cordless telephones. So my thinking is that if I change the channel again, it may work?

I just don't want to do this if it may result in all 4 having no connection

Reply to
Neil Greenough

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.