2bad google ruinedd the usnet

bring back dejanews. break up google. this is no duplicate

Reply to
BYANYOTHER NAME
Loading thread data ...

Well, you might be right. The government would be primarily interested in those divisions that track individuals, collect personal information (spying), sniff email, data center operations, create user profiles, etc. If the Feds break off just those divisions that are involved in these activities, the remaining divisions, such as advertising, productivity software, cloud storage, videos, balloon communications, etc could still be profitable. It would be a weird looking breakup, but I think it could be made to function without losing much functionality to any of the resulting divisions.

"All the companies and divisions under Google's parent companies, Alphabet, which just made yet another shake-up to its structure"

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If anybody can fix this guy... Jeff, can you help this guy?

<ducking>

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

No, I can't help him.

The problem with raising the dead is that you end up with a zombie which is not quite what you wanted and lacking in many ways.

Breaking up Google will likely follow the same path as breaking up AT&T in 1982. Those who held Baby Bell stock made money from the breakup. When the Baby Bells eventually began buying each other, they made more money. Eventually the AT&T which emerged from these conglomerations was a shadow of its former glorious monopoly. In other words, a Zombie.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

BYANYOTHER NAME blethered:

You can fix that, all by yourself. Follow the instructions on the "Usenet Improvement Project" pages:

formatting link
. For you and other Xnews users, click on "Xnews" in the left panel.

Dejanews dropped Usenet because its Usenet was losing money, not making it. You have no clues how to turn that around.

Reply to
GETOFFYOURARSEANDDO SOMETHING

Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hah, the usenet is a zombie now. thanks to google. It USED to be a valuable source of information, but like this group, it's nothing now.

Reply to
duh_IMA-STOOPID_A-Io-eadmin

On 3/21/20 6:15 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote: <snip>

Tsk tsk, Jeff. AT&T was broken up on December 31, 1983 (not 1982).

Reply to
Johann Beretta

On 3/23/20 12:14 AM, duh_IMA-STOOPID_A-Io-eadmin wrote: <snip>

Google had nothing to do with it. If you had any clue and knew anything about history, you'd know that the death of Usenet began the moment AOL connected to the network and began giving its mouth-breathing moron subscribers access.

Even that was only part of the reason. Times change. Many old technologies /protocols died (or declined) and were replaced due to better, or at least easier, alternatives. Gopher and WAIS are gone. HTML and HTTP killed off those two. IRC declined when Instant Messaging became a thing.

You're a troll and not even a good one.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Ummm....

formatting link
The breakup of the Bell System was mandated on January 8, 1982 by an agreed consent decree...

However, you're correct about the date when the breakup happened: Effective January 1, 1984, the Bell System's many member companies were variously merged into seven independent "Regional Holding Companies"...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

There's still plenty of life in Usenet. There's just a pittance compared to what it once was.

I subscribe to over 300 newsgroups and actively participate in more than

50 a week. There is still plenty of worthwhile content to be had.
Reply to
Grant Taylor

Okay. I'll concede this one. The breakup was ordered in 1982 so you're more correct.

Indeed. The RBOC's. Regional Bell Operating Companies (i.e. Pacific Bell, Southwestern Bell, NYNEX, etc)

As an aside:

Most people forget that Verizon was an RBOC (Bell Atlantic) and, given that AT&T (as named now) used to be called SBC (Southwestern Bell Corporation), is as much a Bell company as AT&T is. They're both half of the old AT&T. Yet folks will absolutely insist they're somehow different.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Johann Beretta snipped-for-privacy@nun-ya-bizness.com wrote in news:r5c9b9$pkn$1 @dont-email.me:

I must be somewhat good, ... YOU answered. quit putting your stupid shit Pgp sig in your messages nobody wants to talk to you.

Reply to
duh_IMA-STOOPID_A-Io-eadmin

Grant Taylor snipped-for-privacy@tnetconsulting.net wrote in news:r5e9ti$s9f$1 @tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net:

u know it used to be when dejanews was here that you could actually do meaningful searches on the usenet and actually get valuable information, not just a bunch of spamming crap and lies. Break up google. Break up facebook, breakup all the f****ng pig/yuppie/incompetently run corrupt internet monopolies.

Reply to
BYANYOTHER NAME

GETOFFYOURARSEANDDO SOMETHING snipped-for-privacy@YAHOOO.INVALID wrote in news:5kEdG.6607$ snipped-for-privacy@usenetxs.com:

Sure I do. Break up Google, Microshit, Faceliars and the rest. Bring the net back to the people. Get rid of netcops, shit admins, greedy incompetent website operators and other low lives.

Reply to
BYANYOTHER NAME

Ahh yes, I do miss the old Usenet flame fests and cancellation wars, the freshman swarm every September and the joys of everyone getting a modem for Christmas.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle snipped-for-privacy@bother.com wrote in news:5ilf8fpjr8g1std7t6192up5rhnkb33jti@None:

Now you have flame wars except you can only fight back if you pay corrupt site admins. Now you have usenet admins that try to block you whenever someone objects to what you say. You have high speed internet so they can send you viruses and trojans faster and so the rich can have better internet than the poor. Yeah I do miss the good ol days when people on the net were mostly intelligent and not a bunch of wankers.

Reply to
BYANYOTHER NAME

I'm not so sure about that. Google provides valuable services to the Intelligence and law enforcement communities, and the Government appreciates a single, easily pliable conduit for which to obtain that information and services.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Who? Who is going to set up the servers? You? Yeah.. okay...

The people have spoken. They aren't interested in anything that requires more skill than Facebook.. Break up Facebook and a clone will take its place.

You're ranting. You hate the world so you're here to bitch. You aren't proposing anything. "Get rid of shit admins" Yeah? How the f*ck are you going to accomplish that? Do you even know what the Internet is?

Reply to
Johann Beretta

All usenet servers have ALWAYS been privately owned by somebody or some organization.

You haven't proposed anything useful except to bitch about how good it was back in the olden days.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

You don't think AT&T provided the government with a single point to eavesdrop on people?

Were you even alive in 1984?

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Cruising the El Camino in a convertible bird-doggin' chicks and bangin' beaver.

-Randle McMurphy

Reply to
Sqwertz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.