2 wireless routers communicating

Hi,

I have a cable network internet connection which I get wirelessly via my DLink DI-624 but the signal is very low and my printer is nowhere near this router.

I have purchased an ADSL wireless router (in the hope that I can get this connected to the same wireless network but nearer my printer so I can connect my print server and increase my signal from the cable router). This is the DLink DWL-G604T.

Why buy 2 different types of router? This is for future proofing should I wish to change to a phoneline internet provider, however, I cannot seem to find in their documentation how I can get these 2 routers to communicate with each other on the same network and use the adsl (604) router as a "hub".

Can anyone advise how to do this with these bits of kit please? Is it possible?

Many thanks for advise/help Stu

Reply to
Stuart Palmer
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like you want to "hang" an AP onto your wired system to extend coverage. In this case, your new DSL router will serve as the AP.

You would need to first go into the G604T's interface (connect a cable from pc to it's LAN port) and assign it a LAN address within your subnet, but different from the DI-624. Outside of your DHCP range on the DI-624 also. Turn off DHCP on the 604T. Assign it's wireless to a different, distant channel so the two don't interfere.

Then connect a cable from a LAN port of your 624 to a LAN port (not WAN) of the 604T. The 604T should now act as an AP. Once it works ok, setup security.

There are more details that may or may not snag you depending on what you know, but that's basically the approach.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

formatting link

couldn't find the DWL-G604T, but did find this ADSL wifii modem/router - DSL-G604T

formatting link

you are asking the "device" to perform 2 very different functions.

as a "bridge" to receive a Wifi signal, and connect to local devices as a "repeater" to receive a WiFi signal and re-transmit locally

neither of these Dlink routers will perform those functions.

#1 - how is your printer to be connected, what model ? parallel, USB, wireless ?

#2 - sounds like you are really asking this "router" to be "repeater" ? to receive the "weak" wireless signal, and re-generate it locally ?

This has been discussed in various threads. You might consider using some AC power networking bridges to "extend" the wired Ethernet to the other part of the house.

Reply to
P.Schuman

Wifi Range Extender

formatting link
is this more of what you are looking for ?

Reply to
P.Schuman

Are you saying here that this won't be wireless and that they need to be hard wired between the 624 and 604? Or is this just for setup?

Reply to
Stuart Palmer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.