2 wireless routers

I have two routers. One is a new linksys WRT160NL. The second is an older asus with a wireless print server built in.

The Linksys is connected to my cable modem.

I want to connect an ethernet cable from LAN port to LAN port on the two routers. Then, I'd like to wirelessly print using the internet print server on the Asus, by sending prints to the IP address assigned by the Linksys. I do _not_ want the Asus to be able to go out onto the internet (no WAN), I just want it to be a LAN connection.

I know how to set things up on the Linksys side. I'm confused as to what settings to use on the Asus. Below are my choices, and when I used it as my primary router it was set as a Home Gateway.

Home Gateway: In this mode, we suppose you use WL500gP to connect to Internet through ADSL or Cable Modem. And, there are many people in your environment share the same IP to ISP.

Explaining with technical terms, gateway mode is , NAT is enabed, WAN connection is allowed by using PPPoE, or DHCP client, or static IP. In addition, some features which are useful for home user, such as UPnP and DDNS, are supported.

Router: In Router mode, we suppose you use WL500gP to connect to LAN in your company. So, you can set up routing protocol to meet your requirement in office.

Explaining with technical terms, router mode is, NAT is disabled, static routing protocol are allowed to set. Access Point: In Access Point mode, 4 LAN ports and wireless devices are set to locate in the same local area network. Those WAN related functions are not supported here.

Explaining with technical terms, access point mode is, NAT is disabled, wireless LAN and four LAN ports of WL500gP are bridged together.

Reply to
Susan Miller
Loading thread data ...

silly q's, why do you want the linksys to assign an additional/new ip address to the print server, instead of just using it's existing ip address? (for example I added a second wap/router and still access ny print server at it's old ip address ((ie x.x.7.77)))... you could possibly just use port forwarding to point to the existing ip/port... but i have to wonder why? can you change the default internet server ip address on the asus? what if you change it to say the default gateway for the asus is just some whacky/invalid ip address?

Reply to
Peter Pan

I _think_ (and I may misunderstand how the network works) that I need two wireless cards to connect to two different wireless networks at the same time. If the asus doesn't get its IP address from the Linksys, wouldn't that mean that I have two different networks?

I would like one wireless network in my household "controlled" by the Linksys. I would also like to be able to print (wirelessly) from any computer in the house. In that case, I need to know what settings I need for the Linksys and Asus to talk to each other.

I don't have a separate print server. The Asus has built-in print serving functions.

Reply to
Sue Miller

I _think_ (and I may misunderstand how the network works) that I need two wireless cards to connect to two different wireless networks at the same time. If the asus doesn't get its IP address from the Linksys, wouldn't that mean that I have two different networks?

I would like one wireless network in my household "controlled" by the Linksys. I would also like to be able to print (wirelessly) from any computer in the house. In that case, I need to know what settings I need for the Linksys and Asus to talk to each other.

I don't have a separate print server. The Asus has built-in print serving functions.

============================================================

if you just "daisy chain" one to the next (ie plug lan port to lan port), you can access anything on the wired network as long as it has it's own ip addy (and doesn't conflict with whatever new stuff you use, and have a whole bunch of wap/routers daistchained together no clue what model of asus you have (there are a bunch of em), so have no clue how to address the printserver thing, but if it only works if/when you connect to the asus wirelessly, you will never be able to use it unless you are on the asus, but if theres no way of using the asus printserver unless you are wirelessly connected to only it, you do not need to connect to both, just one or the other, and what you asked about probably can't work (referring to your q of Then, I'd like to wirelessly print using the internet print server on the Asus, by sending prints to the IP address assigned by the Linksys.)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.