2 wireless router/ access points, 1 as wireless receiver

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless access point router that was in my old office away from home. I have a DLink DI-614+Wireless router/ access point from my old home network. I have moved my office to my home. I would like to make the DLink DI-614+ a access point only, for a computer in another room from my office. I would like to do this, since I already have it and to keep from buying another wireless ethernet card. According to DLink, with the use of a crossover cable, and by disabling the DHCP, and also assigning the DLink a IP address within the range of the DHCP of my Lynksys (not it's default 192.168.0.1), this should be able to work as a receiver on the PC it is hardwired to, via the crossover cable. In effect, the DLink should act like a simple access point, or in some words, as if it were a wireless adapter on the PC, just not installed to the MBO.

I have tried every setting possible that I can think of, but I have had no luck. The PC attached to the DLink thinks it is hooked to the LAN, but only sees itself. I have swapped IP's all over the place, and according to DLink Tech support ('nuff said there), this should work like a wireless receiver, but so far no luck.

I have been all over groups here and several on the net, but can't find one that explains my situation as it is setup.

Does anyone know how to make this work and if it will in fact even work this way?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
jimholley1
Loading thread data ...

On 29 Apr 2007 08:48:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

A wireless access point is a _host_, which is NOT the same as a wireless Ethernet _client_ bridge! You need a client, not a host, and most wireless routers can't do that. See wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

According to the manual and the tech support people at DLink (careful ;-) ) it is supposed to work as a access point as long as a crossover cable is used. Problem is, after setting accordingly to your 3rd link, the router has a static IP within my others range, but assigns a odd IP to PC, not from the transmitting routers DHCP.

Again, just trying to utilize what I have and save a buck, since it was said it would work as both.

I have tried every possible setting and can connect to my LAN, but no internet.

Wondering why it will not accept the IP from the DHCP and assigns it's own private IP instead?

Reply to
Jimbo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.