2 Wireless Cards on one laptop

Can I have 2 wireless cards installed on my comp and use them to access two different wireless networks at the same time?

I use a wireless network at my office but it does'nt have internet. I want to connect to a local wireless provider for internet. But each time I need to do that, I have to change my wireless network settings.

My Dell 700M has Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG and I have installed a DWL-G630 wireless card. I haven't been able to get the DLink to receive a signal at all, although it is installed correctly. The Intel works just the way it always have- just fine.

Can I use two on one comp? If so, any ideas how?

Thank you all for your help.

KH

Reply to
youthminman
Loading thread data ...

The only problem with two PC-Cards is that the antenna sections preclude adding a second card to a two-card slot. You will have to use an USB wireless for the second connection.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Yes.

Doc

Reply to
John H. Holliday

No, because the IW2200 is internal (mini-PCI), so it can work, but then there's routing issues. It should be possible - specifics would need us to know what OS you use. What happens if you shut off the internal transmitter (fn-F2 on my inspiron - I would expect yours to have a similar key), then insert the D-Link? If you still can't get a signal, you have a problem with your card.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I had two PC Cards in my Dell laptop. One was an SMC card that is pretty flat, and the other was an Orinoco with an antenna hump. I used this to connect to two different networks at the same time. I don't think I used ICS across my "bridge", though.

Reply to
dold

Had another brain fart - you specifically stated the mini-PCI card.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

He wont have to, it just depends on how slim the antennas are. Netgear MA401 for example, is very slim and takes up no more than one slot.

I can run a Senao with a Cisco or an Orinoco at the same time.

Reply to
David Taylor

Perhaps one card and microsofts Virtual WiFi

formatting link
VirtualWiFi allows a user to simultaneously connect his machine to multiple wireless networks using just one WLAN card.

Reply to
bumtracks

I have been connected with a Cardbus card and the internal card at the same time, using a Buffalo card and their software. So it is possible.

Did you try turning off the internal wireless to see if the D-Link card works on its own?

Reply to
SMS

Yes I read that the other day. I can see the network admins just loving that one, I don't think!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I did try that and it didn't work on its own.

KH

Reply to
youthminman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.