2 routers to solve low connection strength prob?

We have wireless internet that works well everywhere but a back bedroom where the signal is very low. We have run a cat5 cable from the router to that room but would like to be wireless back there also. Moving the router is not an option so my question is, can we simply install a second router using the cat5 cable from the main router? or is there another solution? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, GP

Reply to
gperry
Loading thread data ...

Yes, buy another wireless router (I recommend the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 or WHR-G54 or a WRT54GL) and install it in that room. Go into the router and disable the DHCP server, plug your cat5 cable into one of the routers LAN ports. Your configuration will be Router #1 LAN port --- Cable --- Router #2 LAN port. This will turn your second router into an access point (AP). Set the SSID and security settings to match the main router (use WPA-PSK). The only thing you need to do different is put the two routers on separate channels so like one a 1 and 11 or 3 and 9. I'd keep at least 6 channels of separation.. Check for other near by networks for the best channels. Your laptop should roam between the two AP's by picking the one with the best signal. You should be able to walk from one end of the house and never know you changed ap's.. for the most part.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Thanks for the info, did as you said and it works great...prob solved!

GP

Reply to
gperry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.