2 routers on same machine and Trendnet vs. Buffalo

I have a cable modem supplying my internet connection from Comcast. It is plugged into a Buffalo (brand) router, model WHR HP G54. I then have a cable that runs from an LAN outlet to my desktop an XP SP2 based machine. The router sends out a signal over the air to my Acer Vista based system. All works well.

COMPUSA is selling a Trendnet model TEW432BRP for $4.99 (yes, less than $5 US for some reason) and I thought I'd just pick one up for the fun of it.

Can I simply unplug the Buffalo and plug in the Trendnet without doing any uninstalls, new installs, etc., just a hardware swap, or is it more complicated than this?

If I do have to do a new install of software with the Trendnet, will the Buffalo have to be removed or can they coexist? If they can coexist, how do you manage that?

The Buffalo is working fine. I just want to play around. However, I don't want to jeopardize a functioning system.

For the price, I will buy the Trendset. If advice from you folks is that I could be getting into trouble trying to install it with my functioning system, I will simply put the Trendset in the closet for use in future if I should need it. I can't pass up the price!! And, finally, wonder why it is so cheap? Is 802.11N coming real soon??

Thanks.

Chet

Reply to
CGB
Loading thread data ...

Hi!

Generally speaking, you're on the right track. Most of these devices have onboard web servers and can be configured from there if it's needed. The vendors would like you to run their software CD, but I've yet to find one where you have to.

If anything is required, it will probably be either restarting your computer or the device (DSL box, cable modem or whatever) that provies your Internet connection. Some ISPs do make you contact them if the device plugged into their connectivity equipment changes. That varies by provider.

Unless you have a specific reason in mind for doing this, just use one or the other. Don't use both.

I'd keep your Buffalo router set up and working. I have had excellent results with their hardware and recommend it highly.

I haven't followed 802.11n wireless that closely. The last I'd heard, the standard was still pretty far off. My guess would be that Trendnet or CompUSA wants to move the units they have placed on sale because they will be replaced with a new model, something is wrong with them or they want to drum up business and awareness of their brand. I would agree that for $5 it might not hurt to have a spare on hand.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

William,

Thank you for the informative reply.

In re: status of 802.11n, it seems that a lot of places are selling routers as a "draft N" or some such designation. They are apparently compatible with the N standards that have already been agreed upon which, according to salespeople, is about 95% of the new N system. At least, that's what they say. They can't promise that what comes in the "draft N" package will be compatible with the final release but "don't worry, it will work." The final "N" standards are said to be due out in the fall of 2008. Who knows.

Again, thanks.

Chet

Reply to
CGB

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.