2 locations - 75-100 yards apart

Wireless bridge. 802.11g. 75 yards is a very short distance. I suggest a pair of Linksys WAP54G boxes running in bridge mode. You will need to install a pair of 8dBi or 12dBi patch (panel) antennas to improve the signal strength. Make absolutely sure you have line of sight with no obstructions, moving obstructions (cars and trucks), or trees in the path. You'll get about 20-25Mbits/sec thruput. If this is not enough, and you don't mind spending money, 5.6GHz proprietary bridging will go much faster. For example, Proxim Quickbridge 60 will do 45Mbits/sec full duplex for about $4,000/pair (including integrated antennas).

formatting link
75 yards, you can also go optical, but that's also more money. However, you get quite an improvement in security. Look for FSO (free space optics) links.

Bridging is transparent to Microsoft services. You will end up with essentially an extension cord for your ethernet. Everything will appear as one big network. If you set the bridge to pass broadcasts, you can use a single DHCP server, and Windoze browsing will work as expected.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have:

(1) Site 1 with single domain (50 users) (has two windows 2003 DC, Exchange

2003, and Web Servers)

(2) Site 2 (across the street - 50-75yards away) will be set up with 10 users

What is the best way to connect the second site to first site - physical links wise - DSL, 54G, T1?

My intention is to still use the DC, File Servers, Exchange at site 1 to server site 2 users - basically no servers at site 2.

Reply to
KT

In article , KT wrote: :I have:

:(1) Site 1 with single domain (50 users) (has two windows 2003 DC, Exchange :2003, and Web Servers)

:(2) Site 2 (across the street - 50-75yards away) will be set up with 10 :users

:What is the best way to connect the second site to first site - physical :links wise - DSL, 54G, T1?

What are your performance criteria? Bandwidth and latency limits.

What is your reliability criteria? Is it okay if you lose your connection for a few seconds if a talk truck drives down the street? Is it okay if you lose your connection during a heavy fog?

What is your budget?

How is the electromagnetic noise in the area>

There is no single answer to "best way": it depends what you are trying to accomplish and what tradeoffs you are wiling to take.

:My intention is to still use the DC, File Servers, Exchange at site 1 to :server site 2 users - basically no servers at site 2.

If so then you need to bridge the two sites together. Are you using Active Directory for your DC and Exchange server? If not, if you are using NETBIOS, then all the NETBIOS broadcasts are going to have to go over the link, and that can reduce your residual throughput noticably and can drive up your costs if you have any bandwidth charges.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Maybe this -

formatting link

Reply to
Randy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.