2 computer and a wireless router

Reply to
Ed Williams
Loading thread data ...

Hi, I have 2 computers (a desktop and a laptop) and a wireless router. The desktop is connected to internet (through USB) and to the router (via ethernet). The laptop has a WiFi connection to the router. The IPs and operating systems are the following: desktop: 192.168.0.1 (Win2000) router: 192.168.0.2 laptop: 192.168.0.3 (WinXP) The netmask is 255.255.255.0. I can ping from one computer to another and from one computer to the router and can share folders between the two computers, but cannot access Internet with the laptop. I have already enabled on the desktop the option that allows the Internet connection to be shared. If I ping some srever (like

formatting link
from the laptop, I get an "unreachable destination host" error message. The router is an Asus WL-500g. Can anyone help me to configure this net? Thank you all very much, Marco

Reply to
Marco Terzuoli

Normally you go from modem to router wan then from router LAN ports to your desktop. Can you hook your router wan port to the modem with an Ethernet cable ?

if not, desktop Ethernet plugs into a LAN port on the router and not wan port

Reply to
bumtracks

Since your router isn't doing the talking to the internet, you'll probably need to set your laptop to use the other PC as the default gateway. By default its probably set to the router.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Try this solution:

I Have a USB Broadband modem connected to my desktop and want to share my internect connection. How do I do this?

You must run and internet sharing proxy server on your computer that is connected to the USB modem.

Check out some of these programs:

1. Wingate-
    formatting link
  2. Winroute Firewall-
    formatting link
  3. WinProxy-
    formatting link
  4. PPPShar-
    formatting link
  5. CCProxy-
    formatting link
  6. EzProxy-
    formatting link

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

This solution works just fine!!! I noticed that none of the proxies you suggested is for free, unless very strict limitations on the number of users are set (the best one under this point of view is CCProxy, which allows 3 users). Do you know of any proxy server that is for free and allows a larger amount of users? Thanks, Marco

"Robert Jacobs" ha scritto nel messaggio news:g_xOd.18357$Dc.4255@trnddc06...

Reply to
Marco Terzuoli

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

(snippage)

The user limitations are unlikely to be a problem for home users (its the number of computers really), but anyway Windows contains free proxying software - read up on "Internet Connection Sharing" aka ICS.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

"Robert Jacobs" wrote in news:0DXOd.15170$uc.12010@trnddc05:

Whatever makes you think that? ICS will most certainly work in the OP's configuration where the incoming connection is via a USB ADSL modem.

Whether it's the best design is another discussion...

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Well, I never got it to work with a USB Modem... And have tried many times.....

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

"Robert Jacobs" wrote in news:u%1Pd.26070$uc.11618@trnddc03:

Your earlier post said: "ICS will only work on an ethernet connection, not a USB connection" Please do not make such authoritative-sounding statements when they are simply not correct.

It works fine, alhough I wouldn't recommend it as a 'good' solution.

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Actually it'll work on any sort of network connection. I used it successfully on a dialup for quite a while.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

It works. Never mind ICS for now, you can simply bridge between USB and ethernet.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
USB with ICS is also supported:
formatting link
formatting link
of other web piles that mention USB and ICS in the same breath. However, I humbly suggest you abandon this USB/ICS abomination and purchase an ethernet DSL modem, and ethernet router. ICS sucks.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.