2.5' Toshiba HDD Drive

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any spare/broken laptop drives lying around?

I have a Toshiba 2.5" PATA MK8025GAS (80GB) drive and I think the drive is fine but the circuit board is dead (someone put the connector on the wrong way - which means +5v went through DD7 and DD8)

I would like to try replacing the circuit board, but dont have one of these drives.

Contact me @ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com if you can help.

Or if you think you can enlighten me as to which component is the diode in the pics below then please tell me, remember that the +5v went through DD8 and DD7 pins, which connects to RM2 - I have no idea what RM2 is.

Cheers

-Al

Pics here:

[URL=
formatting link
[URL=
formatting link
Reply to
BigAl.NZ
Loading thread data ...

The three pin device at the far right side of this pic is D1 (only two pins are active, so yes it is a diode), and that may be a protection diode, as it is near F1, which is likely a fuse, but I didn't see that.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

i have done a reverse connect on these with no damage

try another drive and see if its the computer rather than the drive

Reply to
HapticZ

You are probably quite right, but since the connector was put on the wrong way, the +5v went through the connectors at the other end.

On a 44pin ide pinout diagram they are normally labelled DD7 and DD8.

In the second picture you can see it labelled RM2. From the connector DD7 and DD8 seem to go straight to this componenet, whatever it is. There is also a RM3 and RM4.

-Al

Reply to
BigAl.NZ

I have tried it in my desktop and the original laptop it came out of, neither of them detect it in the bios, and I cant even hear the drive spool up :-(

Reply to
BigAl.NZ

yeah, that does sound bad,

but they can be near silent when the do run too!

runn it to a local pcshop, ask the guy to give it a check.

for $10 buks it may be worth it if you had any good data on it. else you might sell it for parts on ebay!

Reply to
HapticZ

If he is looking to BUY parts for it, he obviously wants the data on it.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.