1 Packetloss every 63. second . . .

Are you near an airport? One of my clients a few miles line-of-sight to the nearest small airport had the same symptoms (radar?). Major WPA problems went away when they switched to WEP, if that helps...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

How do I troubleshoot my Linksys wireless network. Every 63. second 1 packet is lost. ONE :(

What would be my options to troubleshoot?

Reply to
Nicolai

No airport - problem is there with WPA, WEP and with no sceurity enabled.

Reply to
Nicolai

It still sounds like some kind of interference, try the router in a different location (if possible many miles away), changing the channel, and looking for other APs, cordless phones, etc...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Reply to
bumtracks

I'm not :(

Reply to
Nicolai

It IS inference - many miles away solved it (no connection ;o) LOL)

Anyway, so chances are its a cordless phone?

Reply to
Nicolai

Well, chances are it's some kind of 2.4GHz device, but that doesn't narrow it down much. Cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, other APs, many industrial processes, ham radio gear, all kinds of stuff runs at 2.4GHz.

Does it do it on all channels? Try 1, 6, and 11, as they are the three non-overlapping ones.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

even if not using wzc the managed service still does its thing every 60 seconds, unless its stopped and disabled.

Reply to
bumtracks

The basic question is what RF device, regardless of frequency, transmits only every 63 seconds? Off the top of my head:

1. Any cordless phone that has a "keep alive" that wants to verify that the handset is within range.
  2. GSM cell phone that responds to ident polls from the cell site.
  3. Baby monitor with a VOX transmit circuit and a keep alive.
  4. Wind sheer radar (possibly).
  5. Wireless weather station, thermometer, rain guage, on 433.925Mhz
  6. One of the new 2.4GHz cordless mice. Grrrrr. |
    formatting link
    I'm not sure how I would find the exact source. I think #5 has the best guess.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Bummer, that means a fairly wideband source, which could be just about anything, especially if it's not an intentional radiator (spark ignition for a gas-fired heater comes to mind, for instance). Try it at both extreme ends of your dwelling to see if you can narrow down the interference.

Know any ham radio operators who might be up for a "fox-hunt"?

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Really? I've got one of those. Verified 433.92MHz on the label (100.8F today at 15:22). I launched a Netstumbler, and a ping -t from Windows to a place on the internet. I walked out to the deck where the thermometer is. Roughly -70 signal on Netstumbler takes a dive to zero for a pixel or two. I don't see any corresponding drop in the text output, nor gap in the time stamps. It's not terribly regular either. The pingy has 20 timeouts in 16 minutes. I should have pinged the router instead of the internet.

Maybe my SMC2435W, which I've retired, was more sensitive than the Netgear WG511. The SMC was annoying with the momentary dropped connections, and the little connection balloon.

What does 433.925 have to do with it?

Reply to
dold

it does :(

Reply to
Nicolai

Aye.

Agree - will doublecheck with the girl next door ;)

In europe? (900/1800Mhz)

No baby's nearby ;)

Cant be :)

I have a wireless thermometer on thet frequency! - could that really be it?! - testing!

Aye - testing NOW - if your right your GOOD!!!

Reply to
Nicolai

Could have been it - transmitter was 1m away from AP position. But no luck :(

Reply to
Nicolai

Notice in my original posting, I said "regardless of frequency".

The problem is that 2.4GHz receivers are not well known for their resistance to blocking, overload, intermod, and just plain junk pickup. The modern chipsets are all direct conversion so there's no images or spurious responses to deal with. However, a good strong signal that makes it through the barn door wide RF filter will do "something" to the receiver. I have a 200MHz X10 controller that causes momentary interruptions to my access point. Same with a 433MHz doorbell. My flashy new Panasonic GigaFeature cordless phone clobbers my wireless. Probably lots of other possible sources of junk. The big suprise was when I left my Motorola Bravo 931MHz pager near my access point and found that I lost one packet every 3 seconds. The battery saver and POCSAG time slicer resulted in the local oscillator being on only for a short burst every few seconds. I found it difficult to believe that the local oscillator leakage might have an effect on the access point, but that's what I found. I've learned not to be suprised by such anomalies.

Note that I had to be VERY close to the access point or access point antenna to see any detrimental effects.

There is no integral multiple of 433.925 that lands in the 2.4GHz ISM band. My very wild guess(tm) is that almost any signal that overloads the receiver front end will cause packet loss. Similarly, anything that leaks past the barn door wide front end filter that resembles data will result in corrupted packets. The wireless weather xmitter could also have some transmitter spurs and harmonics that land in the

2.4GHz band. Hard to tell from here.

I don't know exactly what is causing an outage every 63 seconds. I don't even know how the OP is testing for this problem. I'm just trying to guess what transmitter types and modes belch RF only once per minute. The wireless weather thing seems to have the best possibilities.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanx so much for input m8.

Reply to
Nicolai

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.