Why can't a VPN ovpn file set everything that needs to be set?

formatting link

What do I need to do to get a simple ovpn file to set up a vpn in NetworkManager in a single file load, including the connection type, ca file, username and password *without* having to manually edit the connection type, ca file location, username, & password?

Why can't the file load just set everything that needs to be set?

Here's what I do now (but it takes multiple steps which I don't understand why). [All I want is for the loaded file to set up itself.]

1. At mofolinux, I press on the openvpn list to choose an ovpn file:
    formatting link

1. I save any of those files to /tmp with the default file name: /tmp/vpngate_vpn326801121.opengw.net_udp_1195.ovpn

2. I hit the setup wrench in the Kubuntu KDE NetworkManager and then I hit "File > Import VPN" and point to the file above.
    formatting link

1. This is *supposed* to set up the VPN connection; but it does not. I still have to perform the following (which shouldn't be necessary). Connection Type CA File Username Password

Can't an openvpn ovpn file simply set up the connection type, ca file, username & password?

formatting link

Reply to
Maraela J.
Loading thread data ...

Maraela J. wrote:

I tried appending the file but the angle brackets won't let it post, so, I changed all the open angle brackets () to the keystring "456".

Q: Why doesn't this file set the connection type, CA file, login, and password?

############################################################################### # OpenVPN 2.0 Sample Configuration File # for PacketiX VPN / SoftEther VPN Server # # !!! AUTO-GENERATED BY SOFTETHER VPN SERVER MANAGEMENT TOOL !!! # # !!! YOU HAVE TO REVIEW IT BEFORE USE AND MODIFY IT AS NECESSARY !!! # # This configuration file is auto-generated. You might use this config file # in order to connect to the PacketiX VPN / SoftEther VPN Server. # However, before you try it, you should review the descriptions of the file # to determine the necessity to modify to suitable for your real environment. # If necessary, you have to modify a little adequately on the file. # For example, the IP address or the hostname as a destination VPN Server # should be confirmed. # # Note that to use OpenVPN 2.0, you have to put the certification file of # the destination VPN Server on the OpenVPN Client computer when you use this # config file. Please refer the below descriptions carefully. ############################################################################### # Specify the type of the layer of the VPN connection. # # To connect to the VPN Server as a "Remote-Access VPN Client PC", # specify 'dev tun'. (Layer-3 IP Routing Mode) # # To connect to the VPN Server as a bridging equipment of "Site-to-Site VPN", # specify 'dev tap'. (Layer-2 Ethernet Bridgine Mode) dev tun ############################################################################### # Specify the underlying protocol beyond the Internet. # Note that this setting must be correspond with the listening setting on # the VPN Server. # # Specify either 'proto tcp' or 'proto udp'. proto udp ############################################################################### # The destination hostname / IP address, and port number of # the target VPN Server. # # You have to specify as 'remote 123HOSTNAME456 123PORT456'. You can also # specify the IP address instead of the hostname. # # Note that the auto-generated below hostname are a "auto-detected # IP address" of the VPN Server. You have to confirm the correctness # beforehand. # # When you want to connect to the VPN Server by using TCP protocol, # the port number of the destination TCP port should be same as one of # the available TCP listeners on the VPN Server. # # When you use UDP protocol, the port number must same as the configuration # setting of "OpenVPN Server Compatible Function" on the VPN Server. remote vpn326801121.opengw.net 1195 ############################################################################### # The HTTP/HTTPS proxy setting. # # Only if you have to use the Internet via a proxy, uncomment the below # two lines and specify the proxy address and the port number. # In the case of using proxy-authentication, refer the OpenVPN manual. ;http-proxy-retry ;http-proxy [proxy server] [proxy port] ############################################################################### # The encryption and authentication algorithm. # # Default setting is good. Modify it as you prefer. # When you specify an unsupported algorithm, the error will occur. # # The supported algorithms are as follows: # cipher: [NULL-CIPHER] NULL AES-128-CBC AES-192-CBC AES-256-CBC BF-CBC # CAST-CBC CAST5-CBC DES-CBC DES-EDE-CBC DES-EDE3-CBC DESX-CBC # RC2-40-CBC RC2-64-CBC RC2-CBC # auth: SHA SHA1 MD5 MD4 RMD160 cipher AES-128-CBC auth SHA1 ############################################################################### # Other parameters necessary to connect to the VPN Server. # # It is not recommended to modify it unless you have a particular need. resolv-retry infinite nobind persist-key persist-tun client verb 3 #auth-user-pass ############################################################################### # The certificate file of the destination VPN Server. # # The CA certificate file is embedded in the inline format. # You can replace this CA contents if necessary. # Please note that if the server certificate is not a self-signed, you have to # specify the signer's root certificate (CA) here.

123ca456

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- MIIDGDCCAgCgAwIBAgIFAICQRJYwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQELBQAwQzEWMBQGA1UEAwwN M3ZwMnA5MGcxLmNvbTEcMBoGA1UECgwTZ2Z3dHY5Y3IgNmxrenR2OTdzeDELMAkG A1UEBhMCVVMwHhcNMTUwMzI3MTYxNzAwWhcNMTgxMjMxMTYxNzAwWjBDMRYwFAYD VQQDDA0zdnAycDkwZzEuY29tMRwwGgYDVQQKDBNnZnd0djljciA2bGt6dHY5N3N4 MQswCQYDVQQGEwJVUzCCASIwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEBBQADggEPADCCAQoCggEBAPH6 ogYgztQ6MQPrrKFSlHaFRL/HIvSIU9aTDfsRnONLaSEOfitCyADwwfz6zNB3u+PH XTZ/IJL/zZHj6xpDqkY6hMtIKVbpVbz6LmwEfoBOWKU0q3a9AR5t87ens6QGHUTN cmDwkgkz2kgQs74uvF99yI5/RdPkgp/h5aVXddkNlNRcIDQpCTORJhkYvkJU80p2 qTSTh+cAMvfvyMVJj72i6iEY00XvOpJO/Uv14c3AgpU6lfkYtepQZBJvrbKGqpNq rlfDoMocQpKiGzyb+MRGV7V0c+4oujrGr3d8+Bh8pHlHJfLJaGGJN/+U82E8JClC lj72h435dcbIY2v1fX0CAwEAAaMTMBEwDwYDVR0TAQH/BAUwAwEB/zANBgkqhkiG

9w0BAQsFAAOCAQEAN060AWGllfX1bgdOk6HuFueEYJtnslzB6AKg7N8deQO8O46x oNTup5vsvlmt86bJK/FGEuAGg/FXLceHVnqqx2mSLokMOgNcj1QY+afLaUXTI1nO Ttv14sALDssHVm315cRN4V77LNUoJTiSRvZvt4vByftD8oLjrsqreDj/56HxU2G8 ea7JhTTExqFXw3hOKzSc6wPBm5l3QXO3BHmYa6JY/8b3JfFDPNbUhXzf4oZ+2EXq AOkUezPb1BaMRl/fJlNZQ/lIV+n7IXymzUflXhfCgjnwtSexlAzIJDnqmxk78e3G x26j1ADP6cSH73zaQYFccw8LSPBEOEFmbWHf4A==

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

123/ca456 ############################################################################### # The client certificate file (dummy). # # In some implementations of OpenVPN Client software # (for example: OpenVPN Client for iOS), # a pair of client certificate and private key must be included on the # configuration file due to the limitation of the client. # So this sample configuration file has a dummy pair of client certificate # and private key as follows. 123cert456

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- MIICxjCCAa4CAQAwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEFBQAwKTEaMBgGA1UEAxMRVlBOR2F0ZUNs aWVudENlcnQxCzAJBgNVBAYTAkpQMB4XDTEzMDIxMTAzNDk0OVoXDTM3MDExOTAz MTQwN1owKTEaMBgGA1UEAxMRVlBOR2F0ZUNsaWVudENlcnQxCzAJBgNVBAYTAkpQ MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEA5h2lgQQYUjwoKYJbzVZA

5VcIGd5otPc/qZRMt0KItCFA0s9RwReNVa9fDRFLRBhcITOlv3FBcW3E8h1Us7RD 4W8GmJe8zapJnLsD39OSMRCzZJnczW4OCH1PZRZWKqDtjlNca9AF8a65jTmlDxCQ CjntLIWk5OLLVkFt9/tScc1GDtci55ofhaNAYMPiH7V8+1g66pGHXAoWK6AQVH67 XCKJnGB5nlQ+HsMYPV/O49Ld91ZN/2tHkcaLLyNtywxVPRSsRh480jju0fcCsv6h p/0yXnTB//mWutBGpdUlIbwiITbAmrsbYnjigRvnPqX1RNJUbi9Fp6C2c/HIFJGD ywIDAQABMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBBQUAA4IBAQChO5hgcw/4oWfoEFLu9kBa1B//kxH8 hQkChVNn8BRC7Y0URQitPl3DKEed9URBDdg2KOAz77bb6ENPiliD+a38UJHIRMqe UBHhllOHIzvDhHFbaovALBQceeBzdkQxsKQESKmQmR832950UCovoyRB61UyAV7h +mZhYPGRKXKSJI6s0Egg/Cri+Cwk4bjJfrb5hVse11yh4D9MHhwSfCOH+0z4hPUT Fku7dGavURO5SVxMn/sL6En5D+oSeXkadHpDs+Airym2YHh15h0+jPSOoR6yiVp/ 6zZeZkrN43kuS73KpKDFjfFPh8t4r1gOIjttkNcQqBccusnplQ7HJpsk

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

123/cert456 123key456

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY----- MIIEpAIBAAKCAQEA5h2lgQQYUjwoKYJbzVZA5VcIGd5otPc/qZRMt0KItCFA0s9R wReNVa9fDRFLRBhcITOlv3FBcW3E8h1Us7RD4W8GmJe8zapJnLsD39OSMRCzZJnc zW4OCH1PZRZWKqDtjlNca9AF8a65jTmlDxCQCjntLIWk5OLLVkFt9/tScc1GDtci

55ofhaNAYMPiH7V8+1g66pGHXAoWK6AQVH67XCKJnGB5nlQ+HsMYPV/O49Ld91ZN /2tHkcaLLyNtywxVPRSsRh480jju0fcCsv6hp/0yXnTB//mWutBGpdUlIbwiITbA mrsbYnjigRvnPqX1RNJUbi9Fp6C2c/HIFJGDywIDAQABAoIBAERV7X5AvxA8uRiK k8SIpsD0dX1pJOMIwakUVyvc4EfN0DhKRNb4rYoSiEGTLyzLpyBc/A28Dlkm5eOY fjzXfYkGtYi/Ftxkg3O9vcrMQ4+6i+uGHaIL2rL+s4MrfO8v1xv6+Wky33EEGCou QiwVGRFQXnRoQ62NBCFbUNLhmXwdj1akZzLU4p5R4zA3QhdxwEIatVLt0+7owLQ3 lP8sfXhppPOXjTqMD4QkYwzPAa8/zF7acn4kryrUP7Q6PAfd0zEVqNy9ZCZ9ffho zXedFj486IFoc5gnTp2N6jsnVj4LCGIhlVHlYGozKKFqJcQVGsHCqq1oz2zjW6LS oRYIHgECgYEA8zZrkCwNYSXJuODJ3m/hOLVxcxgJuwXoiErWd0E42vPanjjVMhnt KY5l8qGMJ6FhK9LYx2qCrf/E0XtUAZ2wVq3ORTyGnsMWre9tLYs55X+ZN10Tc75z 4hacbU0hqKN1HiDmsMRY3/2NaZHoy7MKnwJJBaG48l9CCTlVwMHocIECgYEA8jby dGjxTH+6XHWNizb5SRbZxAnyEeJeRwTMh0gGzwGPpH/sZYGzyu0SySXWCnZh3Rgq 5uLlNxtrXrljZlyi2nQdQgsq2YrWUs0+zgU+22uQsZpSAftmhVrtvet6MjVjbByY DADciEVUdJYIXk+qnFUJyeroLIkTj7WYKZ6RjksCgYBoCFIwRDeg42oK89RFmnOr LymNAq4+2oMhsWlVb4ejWIWeAk9nc+GXUfrXszRhS01mUnU5r5ygUvRcarV/T3U7 TnMZ+I7Y4DgWRIDd51znhxIBtYV5j/C/t85HjqOkH+8b6RTkbchaX3mau7fpUfds Fq0nhIq42fhEO8srfYYwgQKBgQCyhi1N/8taRwpk+3/IDEzQwjbfdzUkWWSDk9Xs H/pkuRHWfTMP3flWqEYgW/LW40peW2HDq5imdV8+AgZxe/XMbaji9Lgwf1RY005n KxaZQz7yqHupWlLGF68DPHxkZVVSagDnV/sztWX6SFsCqFVnxIXifXGC4cW5Nm9g va8q4QKBgQCEhLVeUfdwKvkZ94g/GFz731Z2hrdVhgMZaU/u6t0V95+YezPNCQZB wmE9Mmlbq1emDeROivjCfoGhR3kZXW1pTKlLh6ZMUQUOpptdXva8XxfoqQwa3enA M7muBbF0XN7VO80iJPv+PmIZdEIAkpwKfi201YB+BafCIuGxIF50Vg==

-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

123/key456
Reply to
Maraela J.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.