What's a good freeware VPN server nowadays for basic web traffic

The best way to learn what to purchase is to use the freeware first, and, if it fails, then you know exactly what you need in the payware.

To that end, I'd like to connect to a freeware VPN server. Googling, I find a few out there, for example:

formatting link
Which recommends "CyberGhost", "OkayFreedom", & "HotSpot Shield", in that order, in addition to testing "Just Free VPN" & "Private Tunnel".

Googling further, I find lots of other options, e.g.,

formatting link

So, that's why I ask you, if you have experience with VPN (I have none).

QUESTION: What freeware VPN do you use and recommend for basic web use?

Reply to
Danny D'Amico
Loading thread data ...

Unfortunately, NONE of those worked on Linux. I'm trying these, next:

formatting link

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

The cost of freeware is in the testing to find the best.

After running a speedtest.net checkpoint speed test, I installed CyberGhost on Windows 7 but after just a few minutes, I can't recommend it, so I'll move on to the next.

The first gotcha was that it showed itself as really badly written software in that it refused to install outside of c:\program files (which doesn't even exist on my PC).

On it's own volition, it created a C:\Program Files, which clearly is a mark of a poorly written program.

Worse yet, it constantly nagged for me to upgrade. And, it imposed a time limitation, and hinted at frequent disconnects unless I acceded to the nagging to upgrade.

Continuing on with the free version, after waiting the allotted penalty period for using the free version, I selected a country and a server.

Then I went to speedtest.net to check results, but, I didn't even bother to wait (interminably) for the results to finally complete.

CyberGhost is essentially useless as a free VPN. It's free, only in name. Not in substance. And, it's badly written - from the start - which is one reason not to trust it with your privacy.

I'll move on to the next one ...

Reply to
Danny D.

Riseup.net - it covers all Internet protocols, not just HTTP. You get a new IP based in Seattle and all traffic is routed through it securely.

Any VPN client will work that supports IPSEC, and other popular VPN protocols. (I use OpenVPN)

Two ways to get an account.

1. Write a short story/essay explaining your "activist" activities, they will destroy the essay after you are admitted.
  2. Have two (2) Riseup.net members vouch for you.

You also get an untraceable email account with 10 aliases.

formatting link

Home:

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Since when? I have some personally very important software (Natlink) that must be installed to C:\Natlink.

If I'm not mistaken, some programs use generic identifiers for the Program Files folder. That requires programs to be in the expected place according to the system definition of the identifier.

Besides. Why post to the Windows 7 group if you don't have a Program Files folder? That's kind of weird.

My limited understanding of VPN software is that it is fairly complex. I wouldn't be so picky.

Reply to
John Doe

ibVPN

Reply to
Jon Donnis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.