VPN With Dynamic IP Addresses

I am new to the world of VPNs and am in the process of configuring two Cisco 800 series routers for a site-to-site VPN. According to a technician at Cisco, "VPN tunnels always will need to have at least one side with static ip address, no matter if you have DNS resolution..." Can anyone confirm or deny the validity of this statement? Our customer is using dynamic IP addresses on both sides of their connection. I assumed I could use the hostname instead of an actual IP address by utilizing DDNS. Is this incorrect? Thank you for your help.

Reply to
animedreamer
Loading thread data ...

It might depend on the hardware. I set up a VPN between a pair of Linksys units (low end) using DDNS. The routers didn't work well (that's a different story), but the DDNS worked fine.

-- Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Wheeler

I requested a "higher-level" tech at Cisco and we did get the VPN to work with dynamic IP's on both sides. Gerry--this is the exact reason I am now using Cisco routers. We were previously using Linksys routers for our VPN, but they were not working well.

Reply to
animedreamer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.