VPN via ADSL: connection hangs

I'm clueless.

I'm trying to connect via VPN to our corporate network using an ADSL connection. My system is Win XP Servicepack 2, and the VPN connection is L2TP-IpSec, I use a SpeedTouch 510 modem.

I can successfully connect and open an ssh-connection (using cygwin) to one of the local servers - but after a short time the connection hangs, e.g. I issue an 'ls' (unix-style) and some lines are returned and than it stops dead. But the VPN connection still lives and I can open up another ssh session - which will die the same way soon after.

As far as I know the MTU size is set correctly by the firewall. I was told that it's not necessary to change settings on my local machine. The VPN setup works for other people - but I'm the only one using ADSL. I'm far from an expert with VPN and I would appreciate any hints to get this running.

Thanks in advance, Stephan

Reply to
steph
Loading thread data ...

No, it does'nt seem to be connected to inactivity: I connect via ssh, enter 2 or 3 commands, then it hangs. And there's no difference if i do it all at once, or if I wait in between. But what is interesting: it seems that it always hangs when the output is some larger list. For instance, when i enter 'ls' in a small directory it's no problem, doing this on a larger one (for instance /usr/lib) it hangs.

Reply to
steph

I have to display my lack of knowledge here: Is this max frame size something that's determined by the firewall, or is this a setting I can enter on my client machine? (i.e reducing ist would solve the problem)

Reply to
steph

Maybe related to a firewall dynamic rule state expiration. Are you transfering information on a continuous basis over the SSH connection ? If you loose session after a inactivity time, have a look to your firewall (remote site probably).

Cheers, Alex.

--

formatting link

Reply to
Alex Chauvin

Reply to
davidl

steph a écrit :

I have already seen this on firewall and max frame size negociation in TCP. For example, if your TCP session negociates 1500 bytes as max frame size but something in the middle is performing fragmentation (tunneling over UDP, IPsec) then the remote firewall can suppress additionnal fragment (ie linux ipfilter/iptables).

You can try to discriminate this behavior with a packet sniffer to see if fragments are built and dropped by an equipment on the path.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Alex Chauvin

Am 9 Apr 2005 13:36:15 -0700 schrieb steph: I'm running into the same prob.

MTU is down to 1300 (!!) but the freeze of output still is the same. Seems to depend of the output. For example ls in large directories works well but ls -a hangs. Even top hangs.

;-(

Regards, Matthias

Reply to
Matthias Dinse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.