VPN - Same IP's

Hi,

Have a stupid question ...

We have a vpn at work using a cisco Pix and the network has an ip range of 192.168.1.1, etc ... I have several users who are logging into the vpn from home computers. Some of these computers I have had to change the ip address range to be different then the work network range to avoid conflict ... I would use 192.168.0.1 range

This seems to work ok so far ... have a question on the effects of several home users logging in with the same ip address though. What happens when several home users that have been assigned 192.168.0.1 by their home routers all log into the vpn at the same time? Does this create any conflicts or is this not even a factor when using vpn?

thanks,

JL

Reply to
jslarose
Loading thread data ...

I don't know about a PIX specifically but the following are possibilities :-

a) the PIX would reject the connection of the *second* user using 192.168.0.1 to avoid the possibility of a routing conflict.

b) the PIX will allow multiple users to connect with 192.168.0.1 but this will result in a routing conflict so either all traffic to 192.168.0.1 will go to one of the users or it will flap back and forth causing TCP connections to fail and traffic to be lost.

c) the PIX has been configured to dynamically NAT all remote subnets to another IP range to ensure that everyone appears to have a unique subnet and so avoid a routing conflict.

Reply to
Stephen J. Bevan

I can't see a problem as each of the home users will have had their 192 local addresses natted to the wan address of their router, it's this address the pix will see the tunnel request coming from, not the 192 one. Simon

Reply to
Simon

Wasn't quite sure what it would do. What I did find out was that the home users could not use the 192.168.1.x range ... it would allow the vpn to connect but no traffic would actually pass. The problem was fixed once I moved the home users onto the 192.168.0.x range. Just wanted to make sure that if they happened to all have the same address on their home machine that it wouldn't create an issue ... I guess it wouldn't if it got natted to the wan of the router

thanks for the replies .. I appreciate it ...

Reply to
jslarose

in esp-tunnel mode (which you'll be using) the initiator proxy is a 192, which the pix will see. esp takes the whole ip-packet, encrypts it and adds a new header, which is modified by the pix's nat-mechanism.

why this _could_ work:

• host-routes are higher-weighted than network-routes
  • inbound-nat on ipsec-packets
  • nat-traversal

the solution to bypass this problem is to use ike-config. the pix gives a dhcp-address to the ipsec-client, and _only_ to the ipsec-client. doesn't provide dhcp to normal lan users. you have to modify the access-lists to pass the virtual ip's. and the client has to be configured to obtain a virtual ip-address.

\cd

Reply to
Draschl Clemens

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.