VPN over port other than 1723

I'm working on a network at the moment where there's a firewall in place that blocks outgoing TCP segments unless their destination port is

80 or 443 (the ports assigned to HTTP and HTTPS).

I want to access a VPN, and, so, obviously I'll have to access it over port 80 or 443 somehow.

The VPN I'm trying to access is a private network where all the machines have private addresses (e.g. 10.*), but the router that they're behind performs NAT in order to enable the machines to access the internet via TCP and UDP.

The router's NAT has an option whereby it can accept a TCP segment on the WAN on TCP port 80, and forward it to TCP port 1723 on the LAN, meaning I don't need a special VPN daemon that can listen on ports other than 1723. Hurray for that.

I'm running Windows XP on the VPN server, and also on the client that wants to connect. The problem, however, is that the built-in Windows XP VPN _client_ application won't let met specify a different port.

The list of possible solutions, I think, are:

1) Find the .exe/.dll for the Windows VPN client, go thru it with a HexEditor and replace 1723 with 443. So does anyone know what file this is. . ?

2) Use a different VPN client application (possibly in conjunction with a different VPN daemon application). Can anyone suggest a good one?

Or if there's any other ideas, please throw them out there!

Reply to
Tomás Ó h=C
Loading thread data ...

That won't work even if you do what you describe. The Microsoft VPN client uses port 1723 for the control channel only; a different IP protocol (not TCP and not UDP) is used for the data channel.

See

formatting link
for free VPN software that does this. Look for proto tcp-client and proto tcp-server configuration parameters to do what you want. Port 443 has the best chance of working. The default proto udp works better when it can be used, but it probably won't work in your situation.

You will also want to confirm that the people running the local LAN permit the use of VPN clients on their network.

Reply to
Howard Johnson

Howard Johnson:

Are you certain that we need to accomodate a different Transport Layer protocol? I set up a VPN daemon on my machine at home which has a private IP address (e.g. 10.*). I then went into my router settings at home and configured NAT to forward TCP segments whose destination port is 1723 from the WAN to my home machine which is running the VPN daemon.

I then went to a friend's house and tried to connect to my VPN at home and it worked perfectly. Seeing as how my router's NAT only forwards TCP and UDP, how could it be that we need to accomodate a different Layer 4 protocol (keeping in mind that I've already gotten it to work perfectly)?

But isn't UDP designed for stuff like streaming audio where it's best to ignore dropped packets and move on? Since TCP is designed for reliable transmission, would it not be better to use TCP rather than UDP?

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to give openvpn.net a shot.

Reply to
Tomás Ó h=C

Just to give an update, I got everything working perfectly by using OpenVPN. I have a "tap" interface (as opposed to "tun") which encapsulates Ethernet rather than just encapsulating IP. The result is that it's as if I've got a cable running back to my house and into my network switch; I even get my IP address from my broadband router's DHCP server!

If anyone's curious as to how I got it going then just give me a shout and I'll send you my OpenVPN config files.

Reply to
Tomás Ó h=C

I know that's the case with PPTP, but L2TP may be able to use TCP or UDP. Also, some routers "know" how to handle these protocols. I don't trust things to "just work"; I have to read the details carefully.

Yes, but you typically run TCP over that UDP channel. You can run TCP over TCP, but the overhead can cause problems on lossy connections.

Reply to
Howard Johnson

Even if you change the port number; you will still need to have GRE running over the border router.

Without it, PPTP won't work :-)

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote:

Reply to
Intuitive

formatting link
site offer l2tp pptp and openvpn accounts over 3 server CA-DE- USA!!

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.