VPN Internet routing problem

Hello

I have a Windows Server 2003 configured as a remote access VPN server. Everything works perfectly, however when I connect from a client machine to the VPN my internet connection get taken over by the server's internet connection, anotherwords, not only it is routing my LAN but also the internet connection the server is on.

Is it possible not to have the internet routed, just the LAN ? But still be able to use client's internet connection ?

Thanks

Reply to
ioevanc
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

This by design.

Once your VPN connection is open the VPN client should only allow traffic through the tunnel for security reasons (keyword here is "Split tunneling").

This also means that once Your PC has the VPN connection open the pc cannot see the lan anymore (to protect the corporate network from being infiltrated by rogue pcs...

Reply to
Martin Bodenstedt

Martin is correct, however I'm sure you can still see the local subnet Martin, it's only the default route that's affected.

With the windows client you can get round it though if you consider the risks worthwhile, here's what I posted the other day in response to a similar question "Yes it's a security risk if the remote computer becomes compromised, as the internet connection going out locally could allow a back door into your network when the client vpn is connected. However with the ms client you can open up split routing to do what you need, in the tcpip properties of the remote PCs connection to you under advanced untick the 'use default gateway on remote network' then only traffic destined for the subnet that the client vpn address gets goes down the tunnel, all else goes out locally. If there is more than one subnet at your location the remote clients would need to use the route add command to add the additional routes needed. " simon

Reply to
Simon

Reply to
ioevanc

Thanks for your help !

Reply to
ioevanc

Simon schrieb:

That should not be the case as all local pcs (those in the same subnet) could still use the tunnel which I as a corporate network admin would never tolerate.

A good vpn client permits no traffic through the tunnel other than from (or to) the local machine itself.

Reply to
Martin Bodenstedt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.