VPN AND NETGEAR ROUTER

I'm not sure anyone can help, however, I would appreciate some advice. I have a Dell Laptop (Latitude D610) equipped with an AT&T Global Client VPN. The router I am using at home is a NETGEAR WGR614 v6, supplied by my broadband cable company. I have 3 home computers using the router without any issue. However, when I run my laptop (4th computer) accessing my company website, using the VPN, my laptop will "reboot" itsself anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours later.This does not happen when I bypass the router and run directly off the broadband line. I've reset the router, bu that does not seem to help. Looking for help!! Thanks, in advance.

Reply to
glenn.r.holder
Loading thread data ...

If the laptop is rebooting then the bug is either in the AT&T VPN Client or some other software on the laptop. You didn't say which version you are using so if isn't the latest (7.3) then try upgrading. If you are using the latest version then submit a bug report about the AT&T VPN Client.

As to why the reboot only occurs when behind the NETGEAR, then one possibility is that the bug in the VPN client is related to NAT. When you directly connect then there is no NAT and so the IKE protocol that the VPN client uses does not detect any NAT and so all the encrypted traffic uses the ESP protocol (protocol 50) directly. When you connect via the NETGEAR I assume you have it setup to NAT all outbound traffic. Thus the IKE protocol would detect NAT that the NETGEAR is doing and extra code is run to handle the NAT and change the encrypted traffic to use UDP encapsulated ESP. Given that the reboot doesn't happen right away then the bug may related to re-keying or it could be an uninitialized memory read and most of the time it reads a benign value but if you run it long enough then eventually the uninitialized value is not benign and it causes a crash and reboot.

Reply to
Stephen J. Bevan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.