troubleshooting VPN drops

I use VPN -PPTP to get into my office on a regular basis. I just moved and am sharing a wireless connection with my roommate. I can get online, though it is often picking and sometimes can't open a port, but then often will get on. But once online, I typically get 1 or 2 minutes before it drops me.

I've gone through the router and all the ports are enabled (I'd imagine that I couldn't get on at all if there weren't).

Is it a modem or wireless router hardware/bios problem? Wireless problem / settings? As I said, it's always worked perfect (and still does) everywhere else.

Any advice on the best way to troubleshoot this? How do I get the error codes? Are these generated on the server end only? I'm guessing this might shed some light? Pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated!!

David

Reply to
archean1
Loading thread data ...

Should mention I'm running Windows 2000 Pro.

Reply to
archean1

Okay, maybe I'm getting this on my own... I'm going through a WRT54GS (Firmware Version: v1.50.5). Seems there are a lot of posts on problems getting this router to work with VPN. I'm sure I'll screw something up shortly and the router is locked up next door... sweet!!

Any hints on this? Sor far I've seen people recommending TCP port 1723 forwarding (not quite sure how to do this, but getting there), upgrading firmware, changing MTU rate, etc. etc. I'm losing billable hours at the moment... would spending $100 on a different wireless router fix my problem? If anyone says yes, I'll go to the store right now!! :)

Reply to
archean1

First thing I'd try if possible is a hardwaired lan connection to your pc to see if the wireless is causing the problems. As you are going outbound to your company network you shouldn't need to open any specific ports. Depends how well the router supports vpn passthrough. simon

Reply to
Simon

I dropped the MTU speed/rate(?) to 1432 as recommended by some post and this did not help. I then hooked up to the router via a cable and updated the firmwarm to v1.50.8. I then tried to conected to the VPN and the same problem. The problem being a couple attempts to connect with the connection hanging with the message "opening port". Then finally on the 3rd attempt connecting and everything working fine, but the connection dropping in 1 to 2 minutes.

There are some posts about 3rd party firmware... any thoughts?

Or just buy a different wireless router than better supports VPN passthrough? Any recommendations on routers? Seems maybe even the same router but a previous version (anything but version 5 it seems)?

Reply to
archean1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.