SonicWall VPN says Fragmented Packet Dropped

SonicWALL Firmware 5.1.7.0

When I attempt to connect to the VPN, I'm getting the error message "Fragmented Packet Dropped" in the device logs. I tested this from my client behind a Cisco ASA at the office, and a Linksys SOHO device from a neighbor's house. Same error message both times.

I *do* have the "Allow Fragmented Packets" option on "Over IPSec" checked, which I thought would have been the solution. But having that option selected does not appear to make any difference.

Any ideas where I go from here?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Moseman
Loading thread data ...

No ideas from anyone? Should I sniff the packets? If I do, is there even anything I'm going to find out from those packets if I do go about collecting them? I imagine that it'll only confirm that the packets are fragmented, and not necessarily showing me how to resolve it.

Thanks, Scott

Scott Moseman wrote: >

Reply to
Scott Moseman

Tried dropping the mtu size on the PC so that the packets don't get fragmented ? simon

Reply to
Simon

So the reason for the fragmented packets is, potentially, due to the MTU size on my PC being larger than the MTU along the path somewhere? I will play with that and see what I can break.

Thanks, Scott

Sim>>

Reply to
Scott Moseman

Hi, how did you get on ? I found in the past that some applications (Lotus Notes was a common one) would use the largest packet they could, by the time it's been wrapped up in the security etc it always needed fragmentation. Might be worth checking that icmp messages are turned on the vpn router - these should tell the client to reduce the mtu. simon

Reply to
Simon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.