Remote Desktop

Hi all, I'm looking for an application that will allow 2 to 3 users to take control of their own remote desktop on a PC running XP Pro, from what I can see the option is changing this to business server and using terminal services. Clients will be coming in via client VPN as they also need to access other local resources on the remote network. Anyone know of any other alternatives ? for this amount of users it's almost more cost effective to get a couple of old computers and use VNC!! Thanks simon

Reply to
Simon
Loading thread data ...

Forgot to add. The application they need to access is a windows based access thing, so does not scale well over the wan..

Reply to
Simon

Just in case anyone has any opinions, I think I have found just the thing, winconnect server XP from thinsoftinc.com - $300 for a 3 user license. If anyone has any input on that product it would be appreciated. Thanks Simon

Reply to
Simon

I use UltraVNC over VPN's.

formatting link
's free, works great.

Reply to
glgxg

Thanks, yes a good product but it only allows you to have a single user accessing the remote computer at a time. simon

Reply to
Simon

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You can have multiple instances of UltraVNC viewer & viewer sessions running at the same time. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you are trying to do?

Reply to
glgxg

Hi, what I need is multiple concurrent remote users controlling a remote desktop of their own all running on the same PC at the central site, would ultravnc support this ? thanks

Reply to
Simon

I don't see why not. I use ultravnc to control multiple computers from a single PC via VPN's. Each remote runs ultravnc server. I simply bring up multiple ultravnc viewers - each comes up on it's own window settings. For instance, I have multiple VPN's built to my customer's store locations (BEFVP41's on each end). When I want to perform updates, do security checks etc., I then open a session for each location across the links. That way I can work easily work on and monitor all locations at the same time.

Note: Ultravnc allows you to reassign the vnc port numbers, so I don't use the standard 5900/5800 ports as an added security precaution. I don't allow web access and all VNC traffic is confined to the encrypted VPN links. However, ultravnc has several security features built in that you can experiment with without dedicated VPN routers.

(I also use Terminal Server for specific applications - I can use ultravnc for this, but prefer TS for database connections etc., where I don't want the user rooting around the server.)

What I'd recommend is that you download & give it a try to see if it suits your needs. It's easy to install, easy to uninstall & works far better that other commercial programs that I've tried. Check out the user/developer forums (links are on the site) for bugs, updates, suggestions.

Reply to
glgxg

great thanks, I'll give it a go :)

Reply to
Simon

Does UltraVNC allow you to have concurrent connections to one machine from multiple machines? If so, are these concurrent connections controlling the same "session" on the PC or are they logged in individually, a la Terminal Services? This is what Simon is looking to do and I wouldn't mind finding a free solution to set it up on my network as well. I use RealVNC right now, but it doesn't support the "terminal services" concurrency ... at least, not from what I can tell. :)

Undrhil

Reply to
Trousle Undrhil

Apologies for the delayed reply.

I'd recommend that you have a look at the following:

formatting link
and ask your questions here:
formatting link
I tried RealVNC until I was blue in the face. I stumbled on UltraVNC in the process of researching RealVNC alternatives & haven't looked back since.

As for "terminal services" - I MS TS on the Win2KP systems. So far it's performed well & I've not found an alternative.

Reply to
glgxg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.