Re: mstsc

What are the issues with VPN and

> Remote Desktop?

Not finding the machine you're trying to connect to due to DNS not resolving the name to IP.

Mike

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

Suppose I provide the IP and the port?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

The port is not important, but the IP is. Either supply the IP (and as the IP changes) or keep DNS through the vpn active and correct.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I know the IP and it stays put, but I'm trying to access it via a VPN created through SonicWall.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

My users have no issues connecting to RDP using mstsc across VPN. Are you able to connect to that box on your internal network without VPN? Is RDP enabled on that box?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike wrote: ...

That network has only the server and the system I'm trying to get to. I may have to take a laptop over and connect in order to address your question about connecting without VPN.

I did enable Remote Desktop service (to the best of my so-called ability) but I can't remember if I rebooted !8-) Is there a protocol/service/client that must be installed in the Local Area Connector? (running Windows XP sp2 on both ends). I will double check those settings.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

You can check that RDP is active from another box by telnet'ing to the windows box port 3389 (telnet $HOST 3389).

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Neat trick!

Sadly, C:\\>telnet 192.168.248.207 3389 Connecting To 192.168.248.207...Could not open connection to the host, on port 3

389: Connect failed

answers to a ping however.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.