PPTP VPN and subnets

Hi everyone,

I have created a PPTP VPN connection successfully from my satellite branch to my main office, however, even though I am able to specify the IP address of the VPN connection, I can't set the subnet mask, and when I connect, I get assigned a mask of 255.255.255.255. This means I can't access any resources on the remote network, which defeats the object of the VPN.

Is this normal? Is there a way I can specify my subnet before I connect? I noticed in the TCP/IP properties of the VPN connection that I can specify my own IP (which I have done) however there is no dialogue box for the subnet. The box I remote in to is not a DHCP server, so I can't specify to be assigned an IP address. Is this the main problem?

If I turn the box I am remoting in to into a DHCP server, will that mean the incoming VPN connection will be assigned the correct subnet?

Thanks in advance, I didn't know where else to post this...

Cheers

Deon du Plessis

Reply to
duplessis.deon
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Thats normal behaviour for vpn like pptp, it will become your PCs default route hence the mask. I don't think it's the cause of your problem. Does the branch office have the same subnet ? , do you run some poxy firewall like Mcafee or norton that likes to be told to trust the remote subnet ? simon

Reply to
Simon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.